Interesting and surprising study about breakfast

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Imogen Morley

Interesting and surprising study about breakfast

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:33 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 133750.htm

I've always preferred to get my sweet fix in the morning - now I know it's a good idea, though - of course - YMMV.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:12 am

Interesting, although it seems that the groups differed not only on their breakfast intake but on the entire diet - one had a 'low carb' diet and one a diet including protein and carbs, with a higher carb breakfast. Actually it seems that both groups lost similar amounts of weight during the diet intervention period, but the 'balanced' group continued to lose while the low carb group gained back.... I wonder if this says more about low carb diets than breakfast?!

Mander

Post by Mander » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:13 am

Hmm. Interesting, but I'd want to know what happens if both groups have a similar amount of breakfast, or substantially the same breakfast but with the addition of the chocolate cake in one group. It seems that the low carb group had half as much breakfast as the other group (300 vs 600 calories) as well as eating different foods, which to my mind means that the study did not isolate the variables all that well.

If they wanted to test whether it was a simple matter of calorie count versus composition, why not also compare the result of two groups with an identical meal but with half as much of it as a control? The way they have set it up it doesn't really seem to distinguish between the effects of size and composition, because the cake group also had a lot more to eat.
Beginning: about 18.5

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:24 pm

In the long run, the key is what works for the individual. Did you ever notice that people tend to believe the studies that match their own beliefs and discount those that are contrary to their beliefs?

I know from personal experience that I need protein at pretty much every meal or I get really hungry. The most satisfying meal for me is a steak and salad. I like potatoes, but I can skip them. I also like dessert, but sweets are not my primary problem. When I see a study that validates my needs, I read it with interest.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:35 pm

I would have a hard time eating anything as in the way of dessert for breakfast, cake yuk...but ask me later in the day and of course my taste buds change...

The thought makes my tummy turn...
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:43 pm

r.jean wrote:Did you ever notice that people tend to believe
the studies that match their own beliefs
and discount those that are contrary to their beliefs?

When I see a study that validates my needs,
I read it with interest.
So True. :D
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:14 pm

r.jean wrote:In the long run, the key is what works for the individual. Did you ever notice that people tend to believe the studies that match their own beliefs and discount those that are contrary to their beliefs?

When I see a study that validates my needs, I read it with interest.
Breakfast has never been an important meal for me -- and it's not important in much of the rest of the world.

I rarely pay attention to studies at all anymore. Every scientist/researcher worth his or her salt can design a study to prove whatever they want to prove.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."