Dr Wicked's Fiendish Fiendishness: Power of consequences

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
Georges Sen-Gupta

Dr Wicked's Fiendish Fiendishness: Power of consequences

Post by Georges Sen-Gupta » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Write or Die http://writeordie.com is an anti-writers block, anti-procrastination app from Dr Wicked (AKA Jeff Printy), which I think is excellent. I have copied his rationale below - I think he is very good on why goals that take time don't motivate by themselves, no matter how desirable the ultimate outcome. I haven't worked out how to marry his approach to Everyday Systems habit tracking, but I am working on it. I get a good feeling about that combination!

Well done, Jeff, and thank you!

"Write or Die is a web application that encourages writing by punishing the tendency to avoid writing. Start typing in the box. As long as you keep typing, you’re fine, but once you stop typing, you have a grace period of a certain number of seconds and then there are consequences.
Many people find themselves unable to write consistently. I believe that this is because their reason to write is intangible. For instance, I want to write and finish a book because I want to be published and make a living as a writer. That goal is a long way away so I often find it difficult to sit down to the task of writing.
Conversely, I’m in a creative writing class for which I manage to consistently write and finish projects (albeit at the last minute). I therefore draw the conclusion:
A tangible consequence is more effective than an intangible reward.
If I don’t write stories for class, I will receive scorn from my teacher and a bad grade in the class. If I don’t write my own stories I am only disappointing myself. I experience perpetual disappointment in myself so I’m kindof used to it. Add to that the fact that I simply have neither the self-discipline to write consistently on my own nor the capacity for self-deception that would enable me to create artificial deadlines. That is how Write or Die was born.
The idea is to instill in the would-be writer with a fear of not writing. We do this by employing principles taught in Introduction to Psychology. Anyone remember Operant Conditioning and Negative Reinforcement?
Negative Reinforcement “strengthens a behavior because a negative condition is stopped or avoided as a consequence of the behavior.â€
Consequences:
Gentle Mode: A certain amount of time after you stop writing, a box will pop up, gently reminding you to continue writing.
Normal Mode: If you persistently avoid writing, you will be played a most unpleasant sound. The sound will stop if and only if you continue to write.
Kamikaze Mode: Keep Writing or Your Work Will Unwrite Itself
These consequences will persist until your preset conditions have been met (that is, your time is up or you’ve written you wordcount goal or both)
This is aimed at anyone who wants to get writing done. It requires only that you recognize your own tendency towards self-sabotage and be willing to do something about it. If you’re sick of saccharine writing advice that no one could honestly follow and you want a real method to getting work done."
If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds worth of distance run, yours is the world and all that's in it...
..establish habits that eliminate the mental effort of making choices to conserve willpower

Minkymoo

Post by Minkymoo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm not sure it would work for me, I think I would just avoid using it in the first place, but then I vastly prefer the carrot (cake) to the stick. I can see how it would help if you are differently motivated to me though and line the funny title!
Personally I like the Na No Wri Mo approach better (write a novel, any novel, no matter how crap in the month of October) and plan to do one when my daughter is a little older. I think that focussing on volume of output only (they have a word count as a finish line) is a great way to force you overcome perfectionist / avoidant tendencies!