Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggested new Movement (name: Ab Killer? )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Shovelglove General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benjishi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Suggested new Movement (name: Ab Killer? ) Reply with quote

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-6518595979544803898&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

Hopefully the imbed will work, otherwise the video is here.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6518595979544803898&hl=en

I made this up to work my core more... and it REALLY does!
reinhard
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is friggin awesome!

Much clearer than my videos. You actually bother to explain what you're doing!

I'm going to attempt this move with some confidence that I'll be doing what you have in mind (a first, I'm never quite sure when people post move descriptions here that I'm getting it).

Only thing is we need a better name... maybe something will come to me right before my abs give out.

If you don't mind, and this move feels as pleasantly painful as it looks, I'd love to post this video to the movements registry along with your video. I've got a long backlog of suggested movements to consider for inclusion there, but video moves you to the head of the line.

Reinhard
gratefuldeb67

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job!
But your video could be named the neck killer cos I had to look at it from a weird angle! LOL

No doubt that movement is good for engaging your core.
I could see it.
Have fun!
Cool Debs
benjishi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you liked it! I didn't want to seem like I was overstepping, since I haven't been shugging that long, but I simply LOVE doing that move.

Vigorous shugging tends to engage the core alot, but that REALLY targets the abs.

And like other shovel glove moves, you can very the stress by how far away from your body you let the hammer head rotate. (if I recall physics 1 correctly, the force needed increases as the square of distance)

I certainly wouldn't mind at all if you added it. Sorry about it being side ways, I wanted to as much of my body in the view as I could, so i had my camera side ways and I don't have the software to change it! Hopefully you'll recover soon Deb!

It DOES need a better name... It's kind of similar to actually chopping a tree... I also imagine bashing in a door knob.. but so far nothing compelling has bubbled into my brain.
phayze

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, cool! I'll have to try this out tomorrow morning! Very Happy

It makes me think of chopping trees too. I've been doing a similar motion, but without that little step that you're doing.

Props for sharing a vid of your idea! I've had the same trouble as Reinhard when it comes to interpreting written descriptions.
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words
david

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool!

I do a similar move also without the step that I always thought of as "pop the doorknob"--like a SWAT team busting through a door.

I'll definitely try this with the step.

--david
benjishi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of busting a door open too! But not "pop the doorknob!" which is kinda catchy. I like it Smile

I tried doing it without the step, just swinging back and forth at the hips, but I found it put too much strain on the knees and I got some pain during the day after doing it.

With the step it's a little more dynamic, and there isn't a twisting motion along your legs... just a linear lunging motion as far as they are concerned.
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, that looks kickin rad! (my latest fave saying).

Can I suggest downloading a copy of virtualdub and ... rotating that video 90 degrees? Smile

http://virtualdub.org/

again, nice move. I shall try it on my next session!
jules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was great! I ended up taking a long break from exercise and just returned to shugging this morning. (First time since late July -- took it slowly.)

Anyway, I came here for some inspiration & read posts I'd missed. Saw this. Tried it. Liked it!

jules
menachem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: reuploaded video to youtube Reply with quote

see the re-uploaded video here: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=131489#131489

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Shovelglove General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: