Suggested new Movement (name: Ab Killer? )

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
benjishi

Suggested new Movement (name: Ab Killer? )

Post by benjishi » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:19 pm

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.sw ... 3898&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

Hopefully the imbed will work, otherwise the video is here.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3898&hl=en

I made this up to work my core more... and it REALLY does!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:09 am

This is friggin awesome!

Much clearer than my videos. You actually bother to explain what you're doing!

I'm going to attempt this move with some confidence that I'll be doing what you have in mind (a first, I'm never quite sure when people post move descriptions here that I'm getting it).

Only thing is we need a better name... maybe something will come to me right before my abs give out.

If you don't mind, and this move feels as pleasantly painful as it looks, I'd love to post this video to the movements registry along with your video. I've got a long backlog of suggested movements to consider for inclusion there, but video moves you to the head of the line.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:12 am

Good job!
But your video could be named the neck killer cos I had to look at it from a weird angle! LOL

No doubt that movement is good for engaging your core.
I could see it.
Have fun!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

benjishi

Post by benjishi » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:00 am

I'm glad you liked it! I didn't want to seem like I was overstepping, since I haven't been shugging that long, but I simply LOVE doing that move.

Vigorous shugging tends to engage the core alot, but that REALLY targets the abs.

And like other shovel glove moves, you can very the stress by how far away from your body you let the hammer head rotate. (if I recall physics 1 correctly, the force needed increases as the square of distance)

I certainly wouldn't mind at all if you added it. Sorry about it being side ways, I wanted to as much of my body in the view as I could, so i had my camera side ways and I don't have the software to change it! Hopefully you'll recover soon Deb!

It DOES need a better name... It's kind of similar to actually chopping a tree... I also imagine bashing in a door knob.. but so far nothing compelling has bubbled into my brain.

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:07 pm

Hey, cool! I'll have to try this out tomorrow morning! :D

It makes me think of chopping trees too. I've been doing a similar motion, but without that little step that you're doing.

Props for sharing a vid of your idea! I've had the same trouble as Reinhard when it comes to interpreting written descriptions.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

david

Post by david » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:32 pm

That's cool!

I do a similar move also without the step that I always thought of as "pop the doorknob"--like a SWAT team busting through a door.

I'll definitely try this with the step.

--david

benjishi

Post by benjishi » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:33 pm

I thought of busting a door open too! But not "pop the doorknob!" which is kinda catchy. I like it :)

I tried doing it without the step, just swinging back and forth at the hips, but I found it put too much strain on the knees and I got some pain during the day after doing it.

With the step it's a little more dynamic, and there isn't a twisting motion along your legs... just a linear lunging motion as far as they are concerned.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:10 am

dude, that looks kickin rad! (my latest fave saying).

Can I suggest downloading a copy of virtualdub and ... rotating that video 90 degrees? :)

http://virtualdub.org/

again, nice move. I shall try it on my next session!

jules

Post by jules » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:05 am

This was great! I ended up taking a long break from exercise and just returned to shugging this morning. (First time since late July -- took it slowly.)

Anyway, I came here for some inspiration & read posts I'd missed. Saw this. Tried it. Liked it!

jules

menachem

reuploaded video to youtube

Post by menachem » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:54 am