how much have you lost???

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kymm

how much have you lost???

Post by kymm » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:21 pm

I see a lot of people talking about what foods they ate and how many days on the no s but, what about pounds.... how long on the no s before you started losing and are you keeping it off? Are you exercising? I know everybody will be different but lets hear it how are you doing?

I have been on the diet for almost 2 weeks
Right now not exercising because of back problems but should be back exercising in a week, as for pounds lost nothing yet but just started, feeling like my clothes are a bit looser. :wink:

chentegt

Post by chentegt » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:22 pm

I completely understand you man, there are many threads about concepts, but sometimes you need encouragement seeing results written.
Just the facts, just the facts.

I will tell you mine.

I started doing only the diet on january (not exercise). Around the end of april, I saw I had just lost only just 3-4 pounds. I was not exercising, and I was drinking alcohol a lot. A lot. I was also abusing the S days, lots of "seconds" on weekends and eating like a pig just because it was saturday or sunday...

It wasn't until may, that I started doing Shovelglove, and corrected my excess mistakes. I dropped the drinking bad habit. Then, I also started doing my cardio like the boxers, jumping rope every day. Since may, then, I've lost 20 pounds.

I should add that I was not really an obesse person when I started no s diet, just a bit overweight. I now look very normal, and a bit more muscular than before. So I believe that a very overweight person, or obese, should lose many more pounds than me, doing the same I do.

My suggestion, as I believe most of the people here will tell you, is to not just implement the no s eating habits. Add some strength training, and cardio (every day is better), and you should see a few pounds (2-5) lost every month, until your body tells you "this is where I want to be". Then, if you still insist on losing a bit more, you should see like a 5-pound loss every 6-months (I believe I'm already at this stage after my 20 pounds loss). Patience, patience, patience, and perseverance :)

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:45 am

I've been doing this this few failures for about a year. The second month saw my weight drop to a healthy level and I've been losing about a pound every month since, though that's not really indicative because I've been putting on muscle.

My waist has been shrinking a lot faster recently because I've just upped my exercise schedule to include resistance training, cardio, kung fu and qigong. Three months of that and I've found myself having to increase the portion sizes at mealtimes.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:32 am

I appreciate y'all replying and giving your results! I am encouraged by them and convinced that I need to take it up a notch, so to speak!

I have been doing this off and on since February. Lately OFF of course :roll:

And I fell off the wagon because my results were soooo slow-I'd lost about 4 lbs in 3-4 months! *Very* discouraging, since I have about 60 to lose.

But deep down I knew it was my own fault! I haven't been putting my all into it-there have been lots of crazy weekends, eating everything in sight that I "denied" myself during the week, and basically being the Idiot we are told not to be :P I mean, Reinhard does say "except SOMETIMES on S-days" I tend to ignore that sometimes!

Plus my exercise-spotty at best. I have (lately) been much more consistent with my walking, but haven't done the shovel glove, which I should. It's not that hard, and it doesn't take long. And the one time I did it I was actually sore the next day-not too bad, it was a good sore, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble, but I just wanted to say that I am glad you posted this because I need a kick in the pants to own up to the fact that I have not been giving this Nos a fair chance. I haven't been consistent and serious about giving 100%. It is very encouraging to hear both of your results, especially chentegt, since you admit it came off at a much faster rate when you got down to business and really gave it your all.

Thanks for posting! I am ready to get serious 8)
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

kymm

Thanks for the replys

Post by kymm » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:19 pm

I feel eveyone is going to fall off and now and then, but its great to hear that people are seeing some results even if just a little..I wish everybody the best health ever in this on going battle.

I would like to loose about 75-100 pounds my self but I wont beat my self up about how long it will take me,
just try your hardest and the results will show... :P
stick in there.. 8)

kymm

Post by kymm » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:44 pm

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

-Jim Ryun
:wink:

navin

Post by navin » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:54 am

Short answer: about 20 lbs.

Long answer:

I've been doing this for about 4 years now. At first, it was relatively quick progress (by my standards, at least) - about 1 or 2 lbs a month. I "peaked" at around -26 after a couple years. I have somewhat plateaued since then, even going up a little bit.

But now I appear to be going back down.

I think exercise has been the wildcard here. I've been somewhat inconsistent over the years, and I'm now doing a little bit more and think I'm seeing some better results.

I'd really like to lose another 10-15 or so lbs, but I can't complain about how far I've gotten already. The 20 lb loss did a great deal for my appearance, health, and self-confidence!
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:15 pm

I've been NoS'ing (poorly, check my HabitCal - ouch... although I'm just a few hours from knocking out my first all green week!) for 10 weeks now, and I've lost 11 pounds. This sounds like a lot compared to everyone else's numbers, but I think my metabolism is naturally pretty fast and I just lose weight easily (for which I am thankful).

For comparison, 2 years ago on WW, just sticking to the program (somewhat more strictly than I'm NoSing), I regularly dropped 3-4 lbs a week. I wasn't exercising for WW, but I have been exercising regularly for about 6 months now, but I was only maintaining weight before starting NoS. I do not skimp on portions by any means, and sometimes allow myself small seconds even on N days if I'm being really mindful that day and find myself actually hungry at the end of the first plate. I struggle most to stay away from snacks (they're everywhere at work!), which make up the bulk of my red days.

NoelFigart

Re: how much have you lost???

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:15 pm

kymm wrote:I see a lot of people talking about what foods they ate and how many days on the no s but, what about pounds.... how long on the no s before you started losing and are you keeping it off? Are you exercising? I know everybody will be different but lets hear it how are you doing?

I have been on the diet for almost 2 weeks
Right now not exercising because of back problems but should be back exercising in a week, as for pounds lost nothing yet but just started, feeling like my clothes are a bit looser. :wink:
I lost two pounds this week. As a short woman and a (sadly) veteran dieter that's an enormous weight loss for one week. I chalk it up to a much more serious dedication to my exercise program. I lift weights and swim 'cause, well, I like it and that works for me.

I urge you to do something, and certainly Urban Rangering and Shovelglove are excellent! Shovelglove isn't actually only a strength building program. If you've ever gone at it for the full 14 minutes, you'll notice you're getting some intensity as well. Short bursts of intense exercise are lovely metabolism builders. Sprints work, too.

I genuinely don't think No S would work very well without exercise. But any diet that does "work" without exercise is cannibalizing precious muscle tissue and screwing up your metabolism.

The scale is am important metric, yes, but I urge you not to get too hung up on it unless you're prepared to go completely against the simplicity of the No S concept and chart your weight over a period of many months, making a smooth order curve so that the dips and valleys don't throw you off on your chart, etc. Trust the building of good habits.

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:06 pm

In 2005 I was 111kg (244.2pounds - BMI of 35.03). I am now about 84kg (184.8pounds - BMI of 26.51). That is without any consistent meaningful formal exercise, but a bit of incidental walking and wandering.

kymm

Great replys

Post by kymm » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:54 pm

I'm on my 3rd week and feel good I still haven’t started exercising yet but will soon....
I am finding that I really don’t need to load my plates up and I do eat just about any thing I want, but trying to be smart about it , like cutting back on the amount of cheese I used to pile on... now I am paying more attention to what’s going on and using less,it didn’t make me feel hungrier so it just shows me I really don’t need to use that much... I’m sure you get it .

I don’t have a scale at home but I do feel like my clothes are fitting a bit looser and that’s always a great feeling, I wear a size 22-24 now and would like to be able to get in to a size 18, that would feel great.

I do have to say a few nights I have come close to snacking because that what I used to do, so I drink a glass of tea or water and occupy my self with something else, then I forget about it...
Again that for the replies its Great!!
:mrgreen:

"If you want happiness for an hour -- take a nap.
If you want happiness for a day -- go fishing.
If you want happiness for a month -- get married.
If you want happiness for a year -- inherit a fortune.
If you want happiness for a lifetime -- help someone else."

Chinese proverb

-Jim Ryun

brotherjohn

I'm now in ONEderland...

Post by brotherjohn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:50 pm

I was excited today to see that I am in "ONEderland", i.e., I now weigh less than 200 pounds. 199.5 pounds to be exact.

I have been nosing for 35 days, and has gotten easier. Most days it doesn't seem like that big of a deal! I started out weighing 212 pounds. (This was at night, with my clothes and boots on. My boots weigh 2 pounds apiece!)

And I weighed this morning minus my clothes, and before I drank my coffee. So... I figure that my body has actually lost about 5 pounds.

(My grandmother, who lived to be 95 years old, said that for an accurate weighing, a person should weigh first thing in the morning, after tinkling and before eating or drinking anything, sans clothing....because that is what YOU actually weigh. Sounds reasonable to me....)

I have decided that No-s is the plan for me, for the long haul!

blessings to all,

John

synapticnode

Post by synapticnode » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:43 am

I have been doing nos s for 2 weeks now. I started at 278 pounds and now weight 266 pounds (-12). Don't get so excited about the numbers - it is mostly water weight. I have dieted several times in the past but I have not ever found anything as simple as this. I have not been shovelgloving it because I have been doing hard yard work. I have been very strict with the rules even into the s days. I have allowed myself weekend snacks and deserts, but I have not allowed myself to gorge myself. My biggest problem ( no pun intended) has been that I overeat every single meal and eat snacks to keep myself awake. So to counteract all this, I tell myself that I can eat anything that I want as long as it is a small portion. I have also been sleeping a little more. I have been eating taco bell, pizza, and the usual overindulgent junk food fast food. I have just not been eating as much of it. I do not feel restricted even though my calories have been reduced down to a normal person's food consumption rate. I think that has been the most important part for me.
"The definition of smart is someone who thinks just like me" - Anonymous

kymm

Thanks Reinhard

Post by kymm » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:01 pm

Well I'm really glad to hear from all of you, I'm also soooo Glad I found this diet and thanks to Reinhard for coming up with such a great idea and site.....
Wishing everyone Great success
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ..ttyl
Kymm

-Jim Ryun

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Hard for me to say. I had lost on WW and gained some back when I started. I think I'm down about 4 pounds net, but that's including some recent gain due to "being an idiot" and not exercising.

Mostly, I have lost the frantic, sometimes panicky, feeling about food that I used to have. I'm within normal BMI at this point, and maintaining with reasonable ease (even though I'd like to lose a little more). I enjoy meals more, and trust myself about food decisions more.

Those aren't pounds, but it's still an important loss for me.

I will say that at my "close to ideal weight," I do have to exercise and "not be an idiot" on weekends if I want to lose at all. But that's okay.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:51 pm

I started noSing Dec 15 '06. Present day I am down 18.5 lbs. I started at 245lbs (post partum) and now I'm 226.5. I so long for the day when I hit 199.5. I will have a huge party (on an S day LOL).

I have only recently revved up the exercise and I aim for 30mins of really movin'along exercise daily. I do skip a day here and there, generally I get 5 days a week of good, hard cardio (bike or running). And I pull my kids in a bike trailer! Phew! Add to that the hilly neighborhood and even dh has noticed my rear changing shape.

I don't post a whole lot but the important thing is to keep plugging away. If you slip and have a snack, then get right back up and start at the next meal, don't beat yourself up (it's hard to do at first!). Look for cumulative goal-meeting rather than instant (fast weight loss).

:)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18