weight loss tickers

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
elena

weight loss tickers

Post by elena » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:56 am

hi.. i just started reading and posting on this forum, and i'm just curious how come no one uses tickers here?

if anyone doesn't know what a ticker is, here's an example:

elena

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:12 pm

I think the reason that no-one loses them (unless, like me, it's because they've never heard of them) is because they promote a goal-oriented way of thinking rather than focusing on the process, which is largely what this is about.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:28 pm

Yeah, maybe I should do a "days on habit" version of one of these... or a habit traffic light with a number for each light.

Reinhard

arc

Post by arc » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:21 pm

I know this is an old topic but had to chime in. I am thankful that people here don't use them. On the boards that I frequent that they are used, they seem to cause no end of problems - slow page loading and lockups being the chief ones.

Informatix

Post by Informatix » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:31 am

I agree with the above posters that it's a relief to not look at tickers beneath every post! The No S Diet, in my opinion, isn't about "Oh, look, I lost one million pounds in my first week!" so the weight loss tickers seem pretty irrelevant. I do like Reinhard's idea about having tickers for other things, though. Personally, my main goal on this plan is to simply stick with it. If/when I lose weight on the way, that's just a bonus.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:44 pm

I'm enough of a curmudgeon to not want tickers. I consider tickers in the same class as t-shirts with funny sayings or "motivational art" (i.e. a photo of a crew team silhoutted against the sunrise with the caption "Teamwork").

See, I told you I was a curmudgeon.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:I'm enough of a curmudgeon to not want tickers. I consider tickers in the same class as t-shirts with funny sayings or "motivational art" (i.e. a photo of a crew team silhoutted against the sunrise with the caption "Teamwork").

See, I told you I was a curmudgeon.
LOL. I don't much like the butterflies and such, meeself.

I actually have an alternative lifestyle column called "The Polyamorous Misanthrope", so I'm with ya on the curmudgeonly stuff.

But I figure the butterflies is fine for them as likes it.

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:18 pm

Not a ticker fan myself. Also, as far as days on habit type of tickers, we already have a lot of very zelous newbies. Their zelousness, though understandable, does put them precariously close to the edge of mental failure. Look at the "how am I going to get through the S days" posts or the "how much weight did you lose" posts. A ticker broadcasting your success or failure could bring on a competitiveness that would not help the "loser" to build strong habits. Although it might help shift the focus away from the scale (and the debate whether to weigh or not) and back to the habit forming process. Dang it, now I've made points for both side. I'll just go back to my personal anti-ticker preference.
Heather

NaughtyLil'kiTTy

I'm confused

Post by NaughtyLil'kiTTy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:02 am

Whats a ticker???
Vicki