Philly Phun

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
fkwan

Philly Phun

Post by fkwan » Tue May 06, 2008 10:23 pm

I'm going home to visit the relatives in June. Can anyone recommend some really cool urban ranger walks in Philly, also vegetarian/vegan restaurants? I subscribe to the urban vegan blog but since you people are just the best I thought I'd ask. :D

f

In case anyone wonders why, if I'm going home, I have to ask this kind of advice, it's because the family moved there after I left to get married to live in Texas. :cry:
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

Nichole

Re: Philly Phun

Post by Nichole » Wed May 07, 2008 12:20 pm

fkwan wrote:I'm going home to visit the relatives in June. Can anyone recommend some really cool urban ranger walks in Philly, also vegetarian/vegan restaurants? I subscribe to the urban vegan blog but since you people are just the best I thought I'd ask. :D

f

In case anyone wonders why, if I'm going home, I have to ask this kind of advice, it's because the family moved there after I left to get married to live in Texas. :cry:
I live near Philly and I honestly have no idea!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sat May 10, 2008 6:22 am

f,
I posted this on the Urban Ranger board:

try this website: http://www.prevention.com/mywalkingmaps/

I grew up in PA about 60 miles north of Philly, so while I'm not real familiar with the city I can suggest walking in South Philly, anywhere in the historic district around the Liberty Bell, etc. Check out Elfreth's Alley...that's cool. There's a fantastic farmer's market that's really worthwhile checking out, I think it's near Penn Station. On the website you can plug into an area you want to walk. You can always walk in Fairmount Park, and just walk up and down the steps at the Art Museum (like Rocky) a few times! You'll enjoy it; just be prepared for major, honking humidity.

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Sat May 10, 2008 1:20 pm

DianeA2Z wrote:f,
I posted this on the Urban Ranger board:

try this website: http://www.prevention.com/mywalkingmaps/

I grew up in PA about 60 miles north of Philly, so while I'm not real familiar with the city I can suggest walking in South Philly, anywhere in the historic district around the Liberty Bell, etc. Check out Elfreth's Alley...that's cool. There's a fantastic farmer's market that's really worthwhile checking out, I think it's near Penn Station. On the website you can plug into an area you want to walk. You can always walk in Fairmount Park, and just walk up and down the steps at the Art Museum (like Rocky) a few times! You'll enjoy it; just be prepared for major, honking humidity.

Diane
Diane,

Thanks, I've already bookmarked that site! I had to laugh when I read the last sentence; I live in TEXAS. That makes Philly look like a major WIMP in the weather department. Today it's going to be 100. When I went home the last time and went walking in 80+ degree weather I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. :)

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Sun May 11, 2008 12:23 am

f,

I've never been to Texas, and somehow I always think of the state as huge and seldom humid. Don't know why that is, all I need to do is look at a map. But, the state is so huge and w/o looking at a map I have no clue where various cities are located :oops: (Well at least I don't say "oh, you're from Texas, do you know my best friend's brother Will?") :lol:

I hope to visit Texas sometime and learn first-hand what the state has to offer.

Have a great time in Philly; there is so much to see and do! I think one of the strangest, yet interesting, museums I ever visited in Philly is the Mutter Museum (a medical oddity collection that has to be seen to be believed). When "Bodies - The Exhibit" was in San Diego we went to see it, and it's kind of a toss-up which exhibit is more unique.

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!