New Bread Recipe

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
wosnes

New Bread Recipe

Post by wosnes » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:42 pm

I found this one in a local biweekly newspaper. I've made it at least four times since I found the recipe. I've also used part of a recipe to make pizza crust. As a loaf or as pizza crust -- it's very good. And it is simple. The link has pictures only:

http://broadripplegazette.com/images/v07n24/recipe.htm

Here's the text that goes with the photos:

Bread
by Douglas Carpenter

A Simple Loaf

1 cup water
Up to 3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon yeast*
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar

Place the cup of water in the microwave to warm it up. If you have a way to check the temperature it should be about 110 to 120 degrees. If you don't have a thermometer, just stick your finger into the water. If it feels nice and warm but not yet hot, it should be about right. Next, put 2 cups of flour into a large bowl and with a sturdy utensil mix in the yeast, salt and sugar. Now pour in the warm water and stir well to mix everything together. At this point it will be quite wet and sticky Give it a few more stirs and start adding more flour. About 2 tablespoons at a time, stir in enough flour to bring the dough into a ball that cleans the side of the bowl.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit for a full 15 minutes. This rest is as effective as a good kneading, so don't skip this step. Once the dough has rested, take it out of the bowl and knead on the counter top for a few minutes, adding sprinkles of flour to keep things from being too sticky. When the dough is smooth and stretchy roll it into a ball and place on a lightly floured counter and spray with cooking spray. Cover again with the plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and knead again for another minute and roll into an oblong shape. Place loaf on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Let rise again for another 30 minutes. Start the oven heating to 400 degrees. Take a sharp knife and carefully slash the top of the loaf 3 times at an angle. When the oven in hot, place the cookie sheet into the oven and bake for a out 25 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown. Thump the bottom of the loaf; if it sounds hollow, it is done. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Last edited by wosnes on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:32 am

Interesting. It's sort of a cross between the 5 minute artisan bread and Mark Bittman/Jim Lahey recipes. Have you made it yet?

I wonder how to substitute the cooking spray. Mist it with olive oil perhaps?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:34 am

I've made it four or five times now and it's very good. I also used part of one loaf to make pizza crust and it was very good, too. I just let it rise once before making the pizza crust.

I substituted oil for the spray, brushed it on plastic wrap and covered the bread with that.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

harpista

Post by harpista » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:04 am

Blithe Morning,

I bought a pump spray at a cooking store, in which you put your own choice of oil, pump, and it sprays a fine mist of the oil. I bake a lot and don't like the ingredients list on baking spray.

Not sure how much it was- about $15 I think, but it will save you money if you use spray a lot (for frying, etc.)
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!