Any advice / thoughts on exercise issues?

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
bonnieUK

Any advice / thoughts on exercise issues?

Post by bonnieUK » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi to anyone who reads this :)

I have some issues with exercise, and would welcome any advice / thoughts. Just for some background, in my student days I had daily dance training but have been out of that for several years. I now have a walking and yoga as my main default exercise – i.e. this is the only thing I have done consistently since giving up the dance training, and always seem to do regularly.

Anwyay, for the past few years or so, I seem to go through a cycle of the following:

Take up some intensive form of exercise, in addition to the aforementioned walking and yoga (in the past I have tried cardio plus weight training, more recently I did daily Ashtanga Yoga sessions)

Do the above consistently, regularly and enjoyably for 2-3 months. During the time I do whatever exercise craze I have at the time, I develop muscle very easily and see results quickly which is a motivator.

Then, after 2-3 months on exercise programme of the moment, things start to go wrong. I feel physically tired and the exercise becomes exhausting and less enjoyable. I also seem to take longer to recover (particularly the case with weight training). Other times I have actually injured myself (I got RSI in my wrist from the Ashtanga Yoga LOL). Anyway, it’s usually around this point that I give up on the exercise programme of the moment and go back to my “default exercise†which is walking and yoga, and then have the hope of getting back into something more intensive in the future, it’s not long before I end up at the beginning of the cycle again!

Anyway, I have a couple of theories about this:

1. I physically tire myself out somehow.
2. It’s all psychological and I just get bored.
3. A combination of 1 & 2.

I guess I’m thinking 3 is most likely, and think part of the problem is that I yo-yo between overdoing it and doing hardly anything, but would welcome any ideas or suggestions!

(I sense that some might suggest I try shovelglove, it doesn’t really seem like my thing but I might be persuaded!)

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:06 am

After that initial three month burst, where results come quickly, the effectiveness of the exercise decreases proportionally to your new fitness level. The new muscle growth stalls for a while, requiring you to work through the plateau to another useful period after consolidating. If you can do this, you may find that the fitness you've acquired sticks around for longer than it currently does should you take another break.

You may also find that altering your diet may help increase energy levels when they flag owing to exercise. Your body's equilibrium will change in that period and may require a different sets of nutrients; bear in mind that your fat levels will probably have decreased, meaning you have fewer energy reserves. More protein and calcium rich foods will bolster muscle growth, more starch will help a mainly cardiovascular regimen.

Other than that, maybe you are getting bored. Find something more interesting!
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:06 pm

Thanks ThomsonsPier!

I guess I just need to find a way to get through plateaus, I suppose just including something more interesting will do the trick!

I think you're right about the equilibrium changes and effects of lower fat levels on energy, as I do seem to feel a physical change which implies something more than just boredom is going on. It feels like my body uses up a store of energy and nutrients and that perhaps I'm not replacing at a good rate through my diet (which is vegan so probably low on the protein and calcium).

Thanks for that anyway, I have a bit more to think about now :)

DegradedBeast

Post by DegradedBeast » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:01 pm

Maybe you are being a little too hard on yourself.

If I understand your original post correctly, you have a fairly consistent walking and yoga routine and you periodically add a new exercise like weight training but find yourself quitting after a few months.

I applaud you for being a regular walker and yogi! If you are able to maintain those habits year round and periodically add a couple of months of more intense activity you are doing pretty well. I'm not discounting the plateauing and diet issues. And of course if you fall in a complete trough of no walking and no yoga in addition to dropping your new routine, maybe there is a problem.

To me you sound like someone who sets high personal standards and scores about 75%. My hat is off to you.

Geoff
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.
- Spanish Proverb

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:00 am

Thanks Geoff ! :)

I think having unrealistic expectations has been a problem for me, I've just started a new regime of 15 mins yoga (or a walk if the weather is good) each morning which is working well so far and is a nice way to start the day. I chose a limit of 15 minutes because it is enough time to get some benefit from the exercise without overdoing it.

Prior to this my yoga and walking was rather sporadic, so I'm thinking that 15 mins every day will be better than the odd random hour here and there! I've also resolved that I won't think about doing anything more challenging (except maybe the odd fitness class) until I've got this habit firmly established.

Thanks again for the encouraging words :)