men and women

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
spencerstacey

men and women

Post by spencerstacey » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:04 pm

Is it true that men lose weigh faster than women do? why?
Stacey

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Yes.

How many calories you require is dependent on lean body mass.

Most men have more.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:22 pm

Most men also have a higher rate of metabolism...due to more lean muscle mass. Muscle weighs more but burns more calories.

It all comes down to calories in/calories burned. Try to burn at least what you take in. Most importantly, don't even try to compare your weight loss success/failure to a man's success/failure. You'll never win at that competition, so don't set yourself up for disappointment.

My ex and I both went to WW and even though he got less exercise than I did and we both followed the "plan", he lost all he wanted to lose in a few months. Comparatively speaking, during that time period he lost more weight than I did even though I weighed more to begin with and I exercised more during the program. That just pretty much sucked! Plus, when he reached his goal he stopped going to meetings with me and pretty much went back to eating his own way. (And yes, he regained the weight he lost). Serves him right!

I'm not bitter! :roll: Really! NOT! I swear.

I win: he's still my ex!

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:35 pm

DianeA2Z wrote:Most men also have a higher rate of metabolism...due to more lean muscle mass. Muscle weighs more but burns more calories.
Diane, would you forgive a small nitpick? (Gosh, I hope so!)

Muscle doesn't "weigh" more than fat. A pound is a pound, after all.

Muscle is five times more dense than fat, which means that a pound of muscle takes five times less volume than a pound of fat.

You're quite right that muscle takes calories to maintain and fat really doesn't.

DianeA2Z

Post by DianeA2Z » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:59 pm

NoelFigart wrote:
DianeA2Z wrote:Most men also have a higher rate of metabolism...due to more lean muscle mass. Muscle weighs more but burns more calories.
Diane, would you forgive a small nitpick? (Gosh, I hope so!)

Muscle doesn't "weigh" more than fat. A pound is a pound, after all.

Muscle is five times more dense than fat, which means that a pound of muscle takes five times less volume than a pound of fat.

You're quite right that muscle takes calories to maintain and fat really doesn't.
Mea culpa! I think I should have put quotes around the word weighs. Nitpick? Not a problem.

Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:07 pm

This may be true, but women as well as men (I think even more women than men) have reported significant success on No-s. So relax, it isn't a race. Even if it takes longer, with these moderate eating behaviors in place, you'll like where you wind up.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:38 pm

This reminds me of one of my favorite commercials. Forget what it's for (which means it's a horrible commercial) Anyway... It's the one with two cartoon people and a pink background. She says they want to lose weight, but they eat out a lot. "So we both switched to getting salads. This is what happened to him (he shrinks all over) and me (her boobs shrink)." LoL. Love it.

I find it very interesting and always remind my fiance that if he wanted to lose weight, he could SO easily (he's not that overweight, but has a big belly because he gets NO exercise). Meanwhile, it takes me months to lose weight. I've pretty much accepted that fact.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille