Taking a huge career risk. Gulp.

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
exdieter

Taking a huge career risk. Gulp.

Post by exdieter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:59 am

So.....(and yes, I appreciate the irony of this) for the past several years, I have worked in the ad industry selling consumer packaged goods. Yup, processed food. I've got an opportunity to get out. It's gonna mean that I have to take a pay cut (would work base + commission, so there is the opp to regain the salary I am leaving behind), but I could stop selling people crap that's not good for them.

I'm scared.

I'm really good at advertising. But my hearts not in it, and knowing what I know about food now, I don't think it's right anymore.

Advice? Has anybody ever turned down money to follow their gut instinct??
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:16 am

How much do you want to do the alternative job? You say your heart's not in advertising - will you find more satisfaction in the new opportunity?

I took a pay cut a couple of years ago to do something I really wanted to do. Because I moved from the public into the private sector I also lost some of my pension and employment rights too. It didn't work out for me - but that wasn't my fault. It was the right move at the time and I don't regret it. It set off a chain of events which has led me to the job I'm in now - and this is the job I feel has been waiting for me all my life.

I'm sure you'll make the decision that's right for you. Keep us posted with what you decide. Good luck :)

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi, IDK. I am really excited about the career change! It's something I've been wanting to try for several years.... it's just scary to lose my safety net!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:07 pm

We rarely regret the opportunities we take, only those we don't take.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi Exdieter - we can't tell you what to do, but here are some questions to get you thinking:
What's the worst thing that could happen if you took the job?
Could you handle the worst thing if it did happen?
If you didn't take this opportunity, would you regret it?
How unhappy are you in your curent job?
What are the prospects in your new job? Will it lead to better prospects in the long term?

Just some suggestions of things I would consider in your position. Let us know what you decide to do.

Over43

Re: Taking a huge career risk. Gulp.

Post by Over43 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:12 pm

exdieter wrote:So.....(and yes, I appreciate the irony of this) for the past several years, I have worked in the ad industry selling consumer packaged goods. Yup, processed food. I've got an opportunity to get out. It's gonna mean that I have to take a pay cut (would work base + commission, so there is the opp to regain the salary I am leaving behind), but I could stop selling people crap that's not good for them.

I'm scared.

I'm really good at advertising. But my hearts not in it, and knowing what I know about food now, I don't think it's right anymore.

Advice? Has anybody ever turned down money to follow their gut instinct??
Unfortunatley I eschewed law school to get a Master's in Ed and now make half of what my h.s. and college friends make who went into other careers.

I don't mind teaching, but I do mind that I am making less money now than I did 10 years ago (truly). I don't think I regret not going to law school (my unclae, who was an attorney had my life all mapped out... :lol:) But I regret, in middle age now, struggling financially, not because I don't manage money, but because lately, people in the state I live in think "teachers are bad" and that they need to make less.

SO, I am thinking of a change. I want a new car sosmeday, maybe a hot tub, etc.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:29 am

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies, ya'll. I have a second interview tomorrow with the potential career change job. Meanwhile, I am about to get a job offer from the low-hanging fruit (the job that pays well in advertising packaged foods, which is similar to what I do now, but at a better firm).

I guess the hardest part is that the low-hanging fruit job is good, and I might have to turn it down when I don't even know for sure if the other job will work out (in order to allow for the long interview process for potential new job). I am working now and could still keep the job I have, but am pretty unhappy, and would be much happier at low-hanging fruit job than the current job).

So, yes, I am sure I want to make the career change. I think it will be something I'm going to be good at and enjoy. I'm just taking a risk by being potentially unhappy at old job/turning down "better" new job while I wait for career change to work out. Which I guess answers IDK's question -- what's the worst that could happen?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? :)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:04 pm

If you are good at advertising, you will be just fine. I'm entrepreneurial enough to believe that you could open a consultancy to supplement your regular job, picking up jobs for smaller clients that the bigger ad agencies don't have time for.

I might be doing that one day.

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:25 am

Ha. Thank you for all the support.

I have an update: The second interview with career change went really well. They told me they could move pretty quickly and seemed extremely interested. Then came home to a message from low-hanging-fruit job that they would be delaying their decision for about a week. Woot! So I have a reprieve... I'll keep ya'll posted.

Did I mention that career change is a base + commission? So I'd be taking a huge salary cut at first, but with potential to be making far more than I make now within a year or two... It could be dicey for a bit (although my husband does well enough for us to be able to ride it out till I have built up my client base). Also scary, but potentially much more rewarding, both on a financial and personal level.

Am I crazy to take this kind of risk? Ah.... To answer that, I'd have to admit that the food I advertise is something I'd never eat, and that the advertising is diethead at its worst. I just can't stand being a part of the dieting and snacking machine any longer. It makes me crazier to do that than it would to change my career to something that will hurt my wallet for a bit but actually help people instead of hurting them.

Drama, drama!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:38 pm

You just can't put a price on being able to look at yourself in the mirror.

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:51 pm

That's the conclusion I've come to as well. I think Miss Hartshorne would approve. :)

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Just wanted to update ya'll. Turned down the low-hanging fruit job, and then had my third and fourth interviews for career change... All went very well, and I received a verbal offer. I am sooo excited, and I feel like it's definitely the right decision.

Now I am just waiting for a written offer to come in from their HR department. Please keep your fingers crossed for me! The waiting is the worst! :?

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Well done - that's fantastic news. I am so pleased that things are working out for you and that you feel you've made the right decision. Let us know when you get the written offer :D :D :D

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:48 pm

My fingers are crossed. i hope it goes very well for you.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:33 pm

You are an inspiration.

Sending best wishes.

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:29 am

Woooooohooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the new job and I start on Monday.

I want to make a big, long post about this life change, but too sleepy tonight.

Retiring from advertising/selling snack food (and diet food) is a HUGE step forward for me. No more diet head for me! No more selling diet head to the masses! Woohoo!

Thank you all so much for your support. Details to come. :)

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Can't wait to hear all the details! Well done - I'm sure it's well deserved. :D

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Congratulations, and I hope you love your new career.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."