Any knitters among us?

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
Dandelion

Any knitters among us?

Post by Dandelion » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:54 am

I'm just starting to knit, and my interest exceeds my ability by far :). I keeps seeing cool things I'd like to make - but don't have a clue about some of the stitches, but have no one to ask. I don't know that asking someone here would work that well...but who knows? :) If nothing else it's fun to chat about :)

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:14 am

I knit socks. That's about all I knit. The only stitches required are knit and purl. It's so easy that I can knit while watching tv or talking with friends. Here in Denmark we knit socks with 5 needles. The stitches are on 4 and the 5th is used to knit with. I you're interested, I can post my sock pattern for you. Very good for beginners.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

marlew

Re: Any knitters among us?

Post by marlew » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:43 pm

Dandelion wrote:I'm just starting to knit, and my interest exceeds my ability by far :). I keeps seeing cool things I'd like to make - but don't have a clue about some of the stitches, but have no one to ask. I don't know that asking someone here would work that well...but who knows? :) If nothing else it's fun to chat about :)
Hi Dandelion

i have found this site just today and am very eager to start the NoSDiet. i will start on 1/1/2010. i am a knitter and knit toys and other things. i love knitting and find it very relaxing. i taught myself to knit so don't class myself as an expert but will help wherever i can. just message me when you are stuck and i will try to help.
bye

Maria :D

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:22 pm

I'm so glad to have two responses! I'd love to know how to make socks and toys both :)

Welcome Maria - I've been doing NoS since September. I hope you like it a much as I do. I look forward to getting to know you.

MrsJ Five years ago today I was in Denmark :). We were in Esbjerg and Copenhagen. It was one of our best trips.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Marlew -- great day to start! It's a holiday (S-day) followed by 2 more S-days -- so there's no way you can fail in your first three days following the plan.

I'm also a knitter, but I knit ONLY garter stitch. It's part of a plan and not necessarily because it's simple. Garter stitch has infinite possibilities. It's like something I've read -- poets might stick to haiku and composers to sonatas, but there are limitations to what they can do with those. But within those limitations there is a lot of freedom.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:13 pm

I"m so new to this - I don't even know what garter stitch is <blush>

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:21 am

Dandelion wrote:I"m so new to this - I don't even know what garter stitch is <blush>
It's when you knit every stitch -- every row. No purling.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

marlew

knitting and nosdiet

Post by marlew » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:34 pm

hi dandelion

how are you doing on the nosdiet? have you lost any weight i am looking forward to it as it is a challenge and i love challenges. i want to lose this weight and have been not looking forward to being on a diet but i stumbled on this one as i was searching the net for wii fit plus. i have the wii fit already but i never kept up the excersises but am determined to do it this time. I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT BADLY. sorry for shouting. lol. i work in an office and get no excersise at all so have put on weight and am very depressed by it. the last time i went on a really hard diet it was drinks only no food at all. i lost 2 stone in 3 weeks which was great at the time but i put that and more back on over the last year and i dont want to go down that road again. i like the idea of this one. i want to be successful. i have used the cable stitch in knitting which is a twisting of the stitches, you might see it on aran jumpers. and quite a few other stitches but i don't mean i am an expert on it, i will give you any help i can. also you can find a lot of sites on the net about knitting which are helpful.

Maria :lol:

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:16 pm

I knit. I've done a scarf, several headbands and "coasters" (actually just swatches but I'm going to use some of them for coasters). Knitting has helped me get through several long air flights and car rides.

My goal is eventually a sweater. I think I will try mittens next after I finish this headband I'm working on. I am knitting my family red headbands as we are Nebraska fans. They should be ready by next football season.

marlew

headbands

Post by marlew » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:31 pm

hi blithe

good for you. i started doing things that were simple to knit and then ventured into the bigger ones. i love knitting and find that when my hands are busy i don't eat as much.lol

good luck with the headbands.

Maria

marlew

S Days

Post by marlew » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:34 pm

Marlew -- great day to start! It's a holiday (S-day) followed by 2 more S-days -- so there's no way you can fail in your first three days following the plan.

Thanks Wosnes
i didnt realise it was 3 S days in a row.lol i hope its a good sign.lol

Maria

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi Dandelion,

I knit, and love it. :) Not an expert - still nervous about real sweaters, though I've done shrugs and lace shawls and things like that.

If you're not on Ravelry, check it out. https://www.ravelry.com/ It's a rich resource for how-to, seeing patterns, etc. (And I'm KCCC on there too if you want to look me up.)

Here's the link to the very first project I ever made - simple knitting with some fancy (but not hard) folding/sewing after. It was very satisfying to be able to make a "real thing" right out of the gate.
http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/bunny-pattern.shtm

Good luck, and enjoy!

Cheers,

KCCC

marleah

Post by marleah » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:50 am

Hey, I haven't been posting lately, but I saw this thread and wanted to comment! I don't knit - I haven't had the time to devote to it lately, but I do crochet, and I love it.

Craftster is a great website with lots of resources. It can seem geared toward the younger set, but there are some great projects and tutorials there. The community is very active and helpful when people have questions.[/url]
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

marlew

Knitters

Post by marlew » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:07 pm

marleah wrote:Hey, I haven't been posting lately, but I saw this thread and wanted to comment! I don't knit - I haven't had the time to devote to it lately, but I do crochet, and I love it.

Craftster is a great website with lots of resources. It can seem geared toward the younger set, but there are some great projects and tutorials there. The community is very active and helpful when people have questions.[/url]
hi
thanks for that i will look it up. i love crochet too.

Maria

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:32 am

Yes, I knit. I'm NoelFigart on Ravelry, but I don't participate there a whole lot.

I tend to knit very practical things and have an especial fondness for knitting sweaters. (EPS and knitting in the round all the way!)
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:29 pm

NoelFigart wrote: (EPS and knitting in the round all the way!)
I'm a huge fan of EZ -- and Meg. I'm looking forward to the publication of the new book, Knit One, Knit All (scroll down). EZ was so...opinionated!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 pm

I love EZ. But the problem is that now I can't MAKE a sweater from a commercial pattern. (Well, okay, yes I COULD. But I find it endlessly frustrating to TRY). After having seen garment knitting broken down into principles, it's hard for me to trust someone else's design, if that makes sense.

Do you knit socks? And if so what kind of heel do you do? (I'm a fan of the toe-up, short row heel variety, myself).
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:06 pm

I've knit socks, but not for a long time. I started at the top, with the ribbing, and worked my way down. I've seen the patterns for "toe-up" socks, but haven't tried them.

It's been long enough since I knit socks that I don't remember what yarn I used, but I had problems very quickly with them wearing at pressure points. That turned me off knitting socks.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:47 am

I'm an avid knitter, which is what made me take a serious look at my weight. I was spending to much energy on finding clothes that hid my poochy belly, and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to fit into the sweater I was knitting. So, either I'd have to reengineer the sweater, or lose some weight.