The Bare Minimum

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
loop

The Bare Minimum

Post by loop » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:07 pm

I've had considerable success recently doing the bare minimum of habits.

Basically, the idea is to find the smallest possible habit related to what you want to accomplish. I recently started a new job and my previously ingrained habit of exercising went out of the window. I would love to be swimming a few times a week, but that is ambitious (involves advance preparation, getting up on time, and a large time commitment). So I decided to start very small - doing anything at all before I got in the shower in the morning. Some days I nearly forgot, or was running late, and did literally one minute of stretching. Most days I do 10-30 minutes.

Something about knowing I can easily have 100% compliance makes this very motivating. And while I had read about this theory several times from several sources (e.g. just put on your exercise shoes/clothes, or just floss one tooth), I hadn't realized how motivating it was until I actually tried it. I think part of it is I thought of it as a way of working up to really exercising, or flossing all your teeth or whatever. But I reserve the right to do the bare minimum at any time, and that is what helps me keep the habit.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:02 pm

This method works for me as well. When I started No S, my goal was 30 minutes of exercise a day...period. This could be done in increments or all at once. I allowed myself one day off a week if I felt I needed it. I have never changed this goal. Currently I exercise every day. I run, walk, play volleyball, do weights, do exercise DVDs when I cannot get outside, etc. I average 1-2 hours a day of exercise. All of this has built from that small habit which prodded me into finding ways to get that half hour in every day. (By the way, I am retired now so I have more time. Before retirement I usually got an average of 45-60 minutes after gradually building up.)

I have tried this method with eating habits as well, especially in an effort to increase my vegetables. I am still working on it!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 am

I like your idea. Reinhard's 14 minutes of anything seems to be a great goal and pretty minimal. But you're right, Just getting started is often the biggest obstacle especially when you have time and stress to deal with. 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.