not sure if it's genuine shovelglove, but.... BEAT THE TIRE!

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
JWL

not sure if it's genuine shovelglove, but.... BEAT THE TIRE!

Post by JWL » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:13 pm

I'm not sure this counts as shovelglove, as it must be done outdoors, you need more than just a sledgehammer, and it doesn't simulate "useful movements" per se.

Basically, it's beating a tire, which seems to be one of the more common sledgehammer exercises out there. I've been wanting to try this for a while, and now that I have I wanted to document it here. (Reinhard, feel free to move this to general discussion if you don't want this under Shovelglove Moves).

The other day I picked up an old, large tire from my neighborhood garage. So now I shovelglove with my 16# hammer, and between moves I use the 10# hammer to beat the tire. For this, I use an overhead motion, and almost do a full squat as I bring the hammer over my head down onto the tire.

First of all, I cannot begin to describe how satisfying this is. It's definitely a good release for anger, as I can use a sledgehammer to hit something as hard as I can without hurting anything. :-)

Secondly, this is GREAT cardiovascular exercise. I breathe deeply and methodically but within a few dozen strokes I'm breathing very heavily.

So I've been using this exercise as a sort of "windsprint," I do it until I'm out of breath a bit, then grab the 16# sledge to do those movements while I catch my breath again. Once I have my breath, I go back to the tire-beating.

Wow. Wow. Wow. What a workout.

The only drawback is that I have to do it outside; pulling this off indoors is NOT a good idea.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:52 pm

I envy you! I wish I could do this movement. But I think I'd get arrested if I started whaling on a tired in the narrow crawlway behind our house. Not only does it sound satisfying as hell to actually whack things, but I bet the reverberations from the impact are good for your muscles/bones.

If we get a bunch of "outdoor only" shovelglove moves, maybe I'll set up another list from the movements page.

Reinhard

chentegt

Post by chentegt » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:56 pm

It's a shame I can't do that move because of the "outdoors" factor, same as Reinhard.

urbansix

Post by urbansix » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:29 pm

I have seen this or similar workout on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJWqx-zP ... re=related (edit: okay you did say it was one of the more common sledgehammer workouts. Your squat/lunge does add another dimension :) )

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:12 am

Yeah, that's the video I saw that made me really want to try this. :-)

I do bend my knees a bit more, I wouldn't say it's a full squat, maybe halfway between what he does and a squat. Of course, my tire is smaller and is right on the ground (so it's lower), plus I'm probably taller than he is. So I *have* to bend down lower just to hit the tire.

I've been taking it easy with this workout, but man, it's amazing. It moves a lot of energy, a great release for aggression.....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net