Quick Draw

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
phayze

Quick Draw

Post by phayze » Thu May 08, 2008 7:20 am

Hey-o!

I remembered posting this move a while back in the general SG board (before there was anything else) and thought it might be worthwhile to repost it here for easier reference.

I call it Quick Draw (or "Barney Fife" because I got the idea watching him demonstrate proper technique just prior to shooting himself in the foot). Basically, you hold your SG at your side and then draw it up along your body a little to clear the "holster" then bring your elbow to 90 degrees and extend the weapon forward in a threatening manner. Shouting "BANG" at this point is entirely optional. Then you reverse the movement and return the SG to it's "holster".

I use a low-slung tactical holster because it allows a fuller range of movement (and I think they look cooler, but that's not the point), but you can go with the traditional wild west style, or even a cross-draw if you're into that.

EDIT: I should probably point out that "Quick Draw" is sort of a misnomer, and part of the joke (who quick-draws a 10 pound pistol!?). I would advise focusing on making the movement as smooth and fluid as opposed to trying to do it fast.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 15, 2008 2:06 pm

EDIT: I should probably point out that "Quick Draw" is sort of a misnomer, and part of the joke (who quick-draws a 10 pound pistol!?)
Hey, imagine it's a bazooka or a panzerfaust and a King Tiger or T-34 has just come round the corner. You'd draw pretty fast :-)

Sounds very similar to "flip the lever" -- except with pleasantly homicidal (or tankicidal) connotations.

If you get really stong, maybe twirl your weapon around a few times before reholstering.

Reinhard

phayze

Post by phayze » Sat May 17, 2008 5:55 am

Hmm . . . I'll have to try that twirly bit with the 6# next time I get it out. :D

It's funny, I had this idea ages ago when I first found out about SG, but not long ago I saw a video on a clubbell site with a guy using basically the same move as actual training for bodyguard's quickdraw technique. I'll have to see if I can dig it up next time I get a chance.
1 Picture = 1,000 words

phayze

Post by phayze » Sat May 17, 2008 11:11 pm

Found it!

The Gallazzi Handgunner Press, for developing a steady hand and a quick draw.
1 Picture = 1,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:12 pm

Nice!

(edited your post to fix an extra character breaking the link)

I was actually thinking of taking a class at the MIT firing range... so it might actually come in handy!

Reinhard

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:31 am

Thanks for the edit! I feel pretty silly thinking that this link has been here so long and hasn't worked. :oops:

Let me know if it helps your aim. ;)
1 Picture = 1,000 words

storm fox

Playing around today...

Post by storm fox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:36 pm

I like this one. It also works with a scenario I am ironing out. What about "rifleman?" The head of the SG is the muzzle of the rifle. Pull the "rifle" up, pause (to shoot, of course!), lower, and repeat. Problem is, it could be hard on the base of the neck unless posture is perfect.

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:35 am

Hey, I like that! I'm more of a swordsman than a gunner, but I'll have to play with that idea. I'm sure some bayonet work could be slipped in there as well.
1 Picture = 1,000 words