Start the Mower and/or Pull Weeds with VIDEO

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
phayze

Start the Mower and/or Pull Weeds with VIDEO

Post by phayze » Thu May 08, 2008 7:21 am

EDIT: Video now available for your viewing pleasures.

Another repost from the olden days:

"Start the mower" (which is a bit modern, so you could just as easily call it "pulling weeds" if you like) occurred to me last weekend while starting my weed eater, which is always a trial and usually involves some harsh language.

Basically it's a rear deltoid row - I go down on one knee, bend forward slightly and pull the SG back as if pulling the rip cord on my weed eater, but note how the arm doesn't come back alongside the body like with a standard bent-over row (although I suppose you could do it that way if you wanted to). I was thinking this morning (post-workout, unfortunately) that if you straightened your elbow at the peak of the backward motion you'd get some nice tricep recruitment (kind of like a kick-back, I guess) and you could say you were "tossing the weeds" as you "pull" them. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll play around with and let y'all know.

Edit: Upon further research, I think it would probably be better to do the standard bent-over row - it involved all the same muscles as the other verison, plus several others.
Last edited by phayze on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 15, 2008 1:57 pm

Cool! Thanks. Both images are very clear (the links help too). "Pull weeds" is more traditional, but the dear old mower should get some credit as the source of your inspiration.

Reinhard

phayze

Post by phayze » Sat May 17, 2008 5:52 am

Don't tell, but I'm using an electric weed trimmer now. No more starter cord!! Sshhhh!
>_>

<_<

I still have the trusty (and rusty) old push-reel mower for the main bit, though. ;)
1 Picture = 1,000 words

phayze

Post by phayze » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:49 am

Bumping for the vid. ;)
1 Picture = 1,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Thanks again for the video, Phayze. Just added the link from the movements page.