bodyweight move-Ecstatic Worshipper?

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
storm fox

bodyweight move-Ecstatic Worshipper?

Post by storm fox » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:20 am

I couldn't think of a clever name. The exercise is called the burpee by most, the bastardo by some, and difficult by all who try it. There was some internet buzz on the burpee while back over a journal article in which prisoners in the California Correctional System or some such supposedly did burpees for strength and conditioning. I thought it was nothing more than an internet rumor, but grew intrigued with the exercise anyway. As I got acquainted with it, I began to really respect it. Later, I was watching an episode of the History Channel's "Gangland," and one CA prison gang leader actually described the burpee as important to training the gang's memebers. There are tons of Youtube vids of burpees, lots of articles, all just a google away, but here are some of the best:
http://www.geocities.com/rutgerseskrima/art_prison.html (this may be the first online article)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46VoSA-9Xd8 (burpees, manual labor, and Mike Rowe from "Dirty Jobs").

Here is the exercise:
stand comfortably w/arms at sides
drop down, placing hands on the floor
kick feet back so you are in the top position of a pushup
do a pushup
bring your feet back up
jump up, raising your arms over your head

That's one rep. There are some demos around of people doing insane amounts of these, some have extra steps and variations, and you can go a lot of wild places with the burpee. I really enjoy them.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks, Storm!

I dimly remember seeing something about this as well, but these links are very compelling (and clear).

I do 2/3 of the component exercises already (squats and pushups), maybe time to add the combo...

What it proves is that you don't need any fancy equipment, not even a sledgehammer, to get into tremendous shape. And it doesn't even take much time (or space). Anyone here able to do 14 solid minutes of these? (rhetorical question, I hope)

Reinhard

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:28 am

Burpees are pure, hell-spawned evil, and unfortunately they require a shoulder endurance that I have yet to develop, otherwise I would be using them regularly. :(
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

storm fox

yup

Post by storm fox » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:40 am

Yeah, I totally underestimated the burpee until, for mere variety's sake, started doing them. As any fool would, I thought, "hey, I'm tough, how hard can it be?"
I rolled the Workout Randomizer (thanks, Dan John), and apparently I'm doing burpees for intervals of 1 minute on/1 off for 14 min tomorrow morning. Half my bodyweight exercise days are circuits of pullups/pushups/squats, and the other half are different burpee workouts.

Reinhard, I think it is more than possible to do these for 14 min, but just like running for 14 min, it would involve a good deal of pacing. Those prisoners were doing them at a rather deliberate pace, but I have seen some scary burpee feats on youtube.

david

Post by david » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Burpees seem healthier for my easily-strained pectorals and my testy knees than doing pushup or squat reps individually.

Loved the Mike Rowe video.

--david

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:43 pm

These are BETTER on bad knees? :shock:

Seriously? I'd like to try them, but I'm still recouperating an injured knee.

storm fox

14 min

Post by storm fox » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:06 am

This morning I drove at it decently hard, doing burpee intervals of 1 min on/1 min off. Pretty rough work indeed. I got 91 reps in 14 min. Long way to go, I know. Once the gut is burned off, I think I'll be doing better.

david

Post by david » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:02 pm

Finnigan wrote:These are BETTER on bad knees? :shock:

Seriously? I'd like to try them, but I'm still recouperating an injured knee.
Doing 10 burpees is easier on my knees than doing 10 deck squats or 10 hindu squats. Not sure why.

--david