Samurai + Thrust (with video)

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
reinhard
Site Admin

Samurai + Thrust (with video)

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:29 pm

This move was first posted (along with some similar moves) by Phayze here:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4176

You can find the video clip for it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdEcej6g5mA

Reinhard

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 pm

So I just tried the Molinet+Samurai+thrust as a part of my workout with my 12 pounder.

HOLY CRAP these are difficult! :shock: You make it look easy Phayze. They killed me, but I love them! After doing the first one it felt like I had never picked up the hammer before. I guess maybe it's just using different muscles than I have been working out.

I ended up doing a bunch of these, some of your water pumps, some no names and some slightly modified no names (someone here brought them up. Stop your forearm at parallel to the floor, then lift the hammer head up with your wrist to perpendicular to the floor). and some shoveling. To be honest though, I spent lots of time panting and resting after the samurai's!

Thanks Phayze and Reinhard!

Edit: Oh, feeling a bit barbarian I tried the full Molinet a well, but I just couldn't get it coordinated. I'll have to check out your video again.

phayze

Post by phayze » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:47 am

Hey that's awesome, Finn! I'm glad you had fun with it. :)

In all fairness, the main reason I make it looks easy is because I'm using a dinky little 6# hammer - much less inertia to work against than you've got! I barely have the nerve to try the samurai variations with my 10#!

Yeah, the coordination for the moulinet is a bit weird. I learned it with a wooden practice sword originally, which hurts a lot less when you invariably thwack yourself so you might consider testing the water with a broom or something like that. Let me know how it comes along!
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words