Nex's workout and introduction

Which movements do you do? How many reps? In what order? When? Do you mix in other non-shovelglove moves? Post here or browse to get ideas.
Nexquietus

Nex's workout and introduction

Post by Nexquietus » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:56 pm

This is a great idea. My brother got me turned onto it, and I have begun the workouts. I have Jujutsu on mondays, and Judo Tuesdays, so i am useing those as my "Off" days. I was active in high school, then went fallow, then active again with the above martial arts in my mid 20's, then had a son, more fallow. I have been back doing those for a month or so, but began to start having shoulder problems. Talking to a doctor at work, he gave me exercises for shoulder rehab basically. I wanted something different, and found it. Here is my modified Shovel Glove workout as of yesterday.

Each exercise performed for each side
Shovel: 20
Air weight Squats: 20
Churn (the more vigorous type): 20
Chop Wood: 15
Flip the lever: 7
Hoist the Sack: 15
Tuck Bales: 15
Stoke Oven: 20
Smite Ork: 14 (Performed more like the automaton bell ringers i read about somewhere)
Shovel with increased emphasis on twist to the side: 20
Beat the drum until time up

I keep up the pace throughout the workout, leaning more towards anaerobic, since it'll only be 15 mins. I have read alot about high intensity, short workouts so that's what I am shooting for.

Beat the drum is something I came up with, as i was looking for my gloves (I am a sissy, and wear work gloves when i workout). When I made my Brick Patio, I bought two rubber mallets, so I had been tryin to think of something to do with them.
For the movement, think of those Japanese drummers except with a rubber mallet in each hand. Stand with feel shoulder width apart, and alternate hitting the "Drum Head" at about belly button level. Raise arms above head, feeling the stretch in the abs as you bring the other one down.

Since starting this workout, I have lost the shoulder pain that kept me up at night. I'm not a big fan of ab workouts, but they certinally feel this workout.

Great to have found this site.

Jim

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:45 pm

Welcome to the group, Jim! And thanks for posting your routine.

Beat the drum sounds intriguing. I've occasionally done something similar with 2 5-pound dumbells as part of my "freestyle friday" routine. Rubber mallets sound like they'd work much better...

On a somewhat related note, Paulrone recently posted about a one handed routine he started doing with "drill hammers."

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2761

They're a bit heavier, I think, than rubber mallets, so the moves would have to be slower, but basically they'd be very similar.

I gotta get on this one-handed bandwagon. I feel behind the curve :-)

Reinhard

Nexquietus

Post by Nexquietus » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:27 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I use the one handed thing as a filler, basically until i find more moves that work for me that i can rotate. Yesterday i added in some paddeling, which took up some drum time. We'll see how things work.

jim