Routine suggestions wanted.

Which movements do you do? How many reps? In what order? When? Do you mix in other non-shovelglove moves? Post here or browse to get ideas.
uncgbrody

Routine suggestions wanted.

Post by uncgbrody » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Hello all. I was writing to get a shovelglove routine set up, I need some suggestions please.

First, a little background. I had been a yoyo excerciser for a couple years untill about a year and half ago when I started taking kickboxing classes. Since these were offered at a gym I began to go there regularly, but didnt really enjoy it and just stuck with it to get better at kickboxing (which I loved). Now the kickboxing classes where to meet the pe requirement at the community college I attended so when I finished that semester I began looking for ways to work out at home since I could afford a gym mebership not offered through the school/class. I hit upon shovelglove and did it for a few months and loved it, but eventually grew bored. Then I started a new routine of bodyweight exercises and stuck with that for a few months.

In August I transferred from community college to university. Between the much tougher workload, and my (now) one year old son, and the desire to get out meet people my exercise dwindled to a few trips to the pool a month. Recently I ve got back into it, and Im looking to adapt my old bodyweight routine to combine with shovelglove without overdoing it. This is mostly out of a concern that shovelglove never really toned the core or lower body like I wanted. So, here is routine:
Upperbody-Pushups, pullups, chinups
Core-Crunches, situps, jackknifes
Lower body-Squats or hindu squats
I do three sets of 20 each, alternating depending on mood, and then a miniset of 10. I try to add 2 reps to each set every few weeks but keep the mini set at 10. In addition, I run a few times a week.

I want to add shovelglove everyday (mostly I just do 7 reps of each move for the 14 mins and cycle through) and incorporate at least the lower body and core exercises. However, I dont want to overtax anything. Any suggestions on a routine that might work for me? Sorry for the long past, and thanks in advance.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi uncgbrody,

I'd suggest just focusing on an N-daily amount of time to commit to, and then filling it in as you see fit ("14 minutes of ANYTHING"). That way you focus on establishing a sustainable framework rather than getting lost in details. If one particular exercise or set of exercises gets boring or doesn't feel quite right, you can switch to another without feeling like you're straying from your core habit.

7 reps of each shovelglove movements + about 7 minutes of other stuff seems like a good default routine to try to fill up your daily 14 minutes. Or do a full 14 minutes of shovelglove M,W,F and 14 minutes of other stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays. Compared to making a habit of carving out the time, what you do is a detail.

Reinhard