I love no S for the peace of mind

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tlingit

I love no S for the peace of mind

Post by tlingit » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:37 am

Hello all;

I've been doing no S for more than a year now. Some parts of this may be hard for people to read. I'm not posting for sympathy, but to share that sometimes life is very hard and how no S helped me through.

Over the no s year, I've lost some weight, maybe 10 - 12 pounds. I don't know, because when I quit "dieting" I also quit tracking my weight. I've done every diet, including the HCG diet, complete with sketchy injections. Low carb, low fat, low cal, so on and so forth. Nothing new here. I lost weight, regained it, and mostly lost my way. I was eating things that tasted terrible, for no good reason. Anyhow, I was also using food to escape my emotions.

I gained so much weight during my mother's long losing battle with cancer. It was brutal and since I'd never developed balanced eating habits and had lost track of moderation, my eating patterns swung wildly. (Thus the HCG). After she passed, I weighed more than ever in my entire life. Grief wasn't helpful either. Finally, I learned about no s through women's day. I wasn't ready, but the idea stuck with me. Finally, I just said, that's it, I can't give any more brain space to thinking about weight or food. Started no s and didn't look back.

I'd been doing it for about 7 months when my father had a stroke. Over the next 6 months, we juggled care, Drs apointments, medication and caretakers. We all learned to manage things and Dad had good quality of life for his remaining time.

Through it all, I stayed with no s. I felt my emotions at the time, it wan't always pretty, but made it through. I made it through a very difficult time without gaining weight, and more importantly, I sort of dealt with things as they came up, emotionally, so didn't have a huge burden of delayed grief.
I'm back on track now, trying to move more, more freggies and so forth and this simple system is a way of life.

Reinhard, thank you for sharing this system. I appreciate the gift you gave so freely and the experience and suggestions from the group. I've given several copies of your book as gifts to friends. It's been such a relief to learn to eat normally, to let food be a pleasure, an event to share with friends and family. Thank you.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Tlingit,

It seems to me that you've been VERY successful thus far! Good going during such tough times.

Of course, I'm very sorry for your losses but do want to rejoice with you on gaining sane, sensible, satisfying habits surrounding food.

Best wishes for continued success and much joy,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:00 am

I'm sorry you had such a tough time and delighted NoS helped you through it!

I think one of the "perils" of ordered eating is to feel emotions again and how wonderful that you were able to do that. It requires a lot of courage.

Many thanks for your inspirational testimonial!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:01 am

Der tlingit,

Sad as I am to hear you had to face them, I am so gratified that No S helped you get through the tough times you describe. Losing pounds is one thing, but keeping your sanity through such trails is on another level entirely. To be actually able to enjoy food, to enjoy anything, in a real, healthy, non-self-destructive way through all that is invaluable. Thank you for sharing this deeply inspiring story with us!

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:45 pm

I'm late to this but want to join in on feeling for your losses and on how NOT stress eating actually helps navigate stressful times. It's a lesson that may need reinforcement, but still a worthy one.

Warmest wishes as we enter the holiday season.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)