Taming the Wild Beast with Habit

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RAWCOOKIE

Taming the Wild Beast with Habit

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:18 am

I can hardly believe that I've reached my 1 yr anniversary on No S! I think that means I am no longer a 'newbie' - maybe! 8)

I can't remember how I came across No S - it might have been via Spark People. But once I read the explanation here on this website - I jumped straight in. It appealed to my logic - it made sense to me.

I've been an acceptably 'normal' weight all my life really. There was a short period, after I got divorced, when I went up to my highest weight at around 140lbs. That was temporary and I soon lost it by counting calories etc!

As many others have said, I've been through many, many different phases of eating systems: I became vegetarian when I was 18 and still am - along the way I've tried macrobiotics; food combining; eating dinner for breakfast; high fibre; low fat; low carb; raw; intuitive eating; mono-meals; juicing - oh, I really can't remember them all! I have always been on some sort of system or another.

For most of my life I've probably been a pain in the proverbial! Whatever system I was following I was obsessive about it - until I could no longer sustain it - then I'd try something else!

So - given that I've not been significantly over-weight - why was I constantly tweaking my diet? Well, what I've been wrangling with - all my life - is what I think of as a kind of Wild Beast - a raging force that compels me to munch and chomp and graze continuously - always looking for the next thing to eat - fearful without a snack in the bag. :twisted:

I have, therefore, also worked my way through a whole host of books addressing the issue of emotional eating, craving, addiction, mind-body connection, spiritual nutrition, body clutter etc etc etc.

The BIGGEST thing that the No S system has given me is CALMNESS and SANITY in my relationship with food. I went from being a 3 meals and 3 snacks-a-day person, to being a 3 meals and 0 snacks-a-day person in the first two weeks of No S! And I didn't die! Amazing!

My weight has gone down on No S without me even trying - I've enjoyed reckless S days and abundant N days. I have even been able to slacken the reins and participate in social events on special S days when it seemed important. I can now actually make a decision as to whether eating a piece of cake is socially necessary or not. Rather than just eating the cake because everyone else is, and because it's in front of me.

I no longer feel powerless!

I've got no startling weight loss to report - I was a healthy weight to begin with - but I have gone down 5lbs quite naturally.

My metric is the habit - I've used HabitCal every single day since 13th June 2015 and these are the stats I use to measure my success.

HabitCal tells me I've a score of 88.9% - well, that hits the 80/20 rule well enough.

I've had 26 RED days over the 12 months - so that's approx 2 a month.

Tada! that's where I need to focus. I've just started a fresh 21-day Vanilla streak - My goal is to keep reinforcing my N days with the No S habit - and if I can get those RED days down to approx 1 a month, and push my % over the next 12 months - I'll be very happy.

Time for breakfast :wink:
Last edited by RAWCOOKIE on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:08 am

So, Gill, do you sometimes "take" the optional two S days per month?

Two red days a month average is stupendous! I had a LOT more, after my introductory "perfect" three months. I don't think I've ever had such a perfect streak again.

SO glad to know you. And SO glad it sounds now like you still do some experimenting, but the sense of being a bit frantic about it is gone.

Here's to a long stay here, if only to be a beacon to the newbies.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:29 pm

No, I don't 'take' the 2 optional extra S days. I only take really 'special' days as extra S days - and they have to be planned in advance to be extra S days - anything else I call 'red'. I haven't actually counted up how many extra S days I've had, but I don't think those are an issue for me.

Thanks for all your support too!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Rawcookie -- I love this. Congratulations and thank you for sharing this post with us. I love the freedom, the calmness, the sanity; I love the emphasis on habit vs. pounds or whatever. I love that the habitcal is proving a really useful too for you.

So great to read about your profound, continuing success here, and so great to have you in this group. Thank you!

Reinhard

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:26 am

Well done!

I also *love* the sanity of NoS and its clear-cut focus on sustainable behaviors, so I understand your exhilarating enthusiasm! Thank you for sharing your story.

Best wishes with continuing NoS success!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:31 am

beautiful testimonial and wonderfull success story, rawcookie!

my fav part:
The BIGGEST thing that the No S system has given me is CALMNESS and SANITY in my relationship with food. I went from being a 3 meals and 3 snacks-a-day person, to being a 3 meals and 0 snacks-a-day person in the first two weeks of No S! And I didn't die! Amazing!
always a pleasure to read your posts! :)
Last edited by kaalii on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:54 am

THANK YOU!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:10 am

Way to go, raw cookie!

knitapeace

Post by knitapeace » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:41 pm

You are awesome! Thank you for the inspiration!

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks for sharing your story, RawCookie!

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Wed May 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks for sahring, it's great that this is going well for you after you've tried so many diets in the past!