Compulsive exerciser + NOSDIET = freedom!

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

colourmehappy

Compulsive exerciser + NOSDIET = freedom!

Post by colourmehappy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:36 am

Hello nos community,

I'm not the kind of person who usually posts anything on bulletins because I'm too lazy and shy but I think it's time for me to start contributing considering how much I've gained from free information that has been shared by others.

You see, I thought I was different. A special case. Outside of space and time.

I simply wash't able to categorise my disordered eating as anorexia, bulimia, orthorexia, binge eating, or food addiction. It was more like exercise addiction which caused me to binge eat (carb loading!!) but quickly led to an obsession with what I was eating, how much, whether it would be appropriate for my vigorous training etc. And then I got an injury and I couldn't really stop binging on carbs, but I also couldn't exercise like I used to, so I stopped eating in between binges to try and 'balance' out my calorie intake. As you can probably imagine I ended up in a right old mess: fill of fear and utterly obsessed with my calories in/calories out.

What the nosdiet has given me is a structure that ensures I don't over-consume calories, which means that I have no choice but to exercise and train less. And in light of the recent injury this is most probably exactly what I needed to be doing.

I'm not going to lie, it's been a bumpy start and I haven't been using the habitcal properly yet because almost every day there has been a minor fail and I don't want to put myself off trying. It's progress not perfection in my books.

The fails occur because I have been so used to under consuming calories at meals and I still find it hard to eat enough to get me through to the next, especially considering I still do exercise quite a lot (in a good way - I'm a little hyperactive so this is just a part of my lifestyle and always will be) which has led to the odd snack, which has led to the odd, mild binge because I've done the 'screw it, I've failed now so what's the difference if I go all out?!' I've addressed this issue with a mod for the time being: 'No snacks, no sweets' is my current system. If I want to have seconds that's fine because I probably didn't put enough on my plate in the first place. In fact, I can eat as much as I want at a meal, as long as it is definitely in one sitting and doesn't contain sweets (I'm quite strict also, as even dried fruit can set me off on a binge).

This is working! I'm finally eating enough at meals because I know it has to last. And I'm giving my digestive system a break in between as opposed to grazing all day. Most importantly, I'm not obsessing over what I eat and when and how much. I've stopped looking up the calorie expenditure of my runs and swims and bike rides, which allows me to appreciate them for exactly what they are.

I think my favourite aspect of the diet is that I'm 'consuming' far less packaging (snack food is criminally over packaged) and I'm not feeding into the vast, expanding 'health food industry' which I used to do by buying endless sugar free gluten free dairy free fun free snacks. Which are all just dried fruit and nuts anyway. Now I just eat enough at meal times. So simple!

I love the way it feels as if this is a 'diet' for life. A wholesome, slow way of being that can allow me to appreciate the exciting things in life without thinking so much about what I'm eating.

Good luck to all of you starting out (like me) and thanks to the old timers for sharing what helps you.

Much love xx[/i]

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:03 am

Rejoicing with you in your good success! Thanks for posting!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:48 am

sounds like noS is a great and healthy relief for you!
that is so awesome!!
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:47 pm

Congratulations and thank you for this thoughtful post!

I love it how No S works both for people on both ends of the spectrum -- those who under-eat as well as those who overeat. Further confirmation of its fundamental elegance and sanity, I like to think.

You're no-no-seconds mod sounds very reasonable under the circumstances.

It's amazing how powerful this old and obvious idea of "eating meals" can be in terms of ridding us of all our diet obsessions. Amazing too how similar the "diet head" of even very fit people can be to that of people who more obviously struggle with it.

Anyway, congratulations again, and thank you for surmounting your "shyness and laziness" to share this very interesting perspective.

Best of luck going forward, and looking forward to hearing more,

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:12 am

So delicious to read your post. And I love the "they're just dried fruit and nuts anyway." so they are!

and I esp. love that you are exercising for the vitality of it!

Such nice changes. Long may they live.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Wed May 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Thank you for sharing your perspective with us, the mod sounds suitable for your situation, I hope it goes well for you :)