Yearly check in!

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LouMay

Yearly check in!

Post by LouMay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:39 am

I can't believe I have been doing this for a year without thinking about it! I think the fact it isn't a chore and doesn't interfere in a negative way with my daily life is such a massive thing, making it so much easier to consistently stay on habit.

I didn't have a lot of weight that needed to go but I knew I needed to make a change. I felt sluggish and bloated and uncomfortable in my clothes. I also fell into periods of binge eating - often prompted by emotional reasons rather than any need for food.

No S gave me that control I needed to step towards a trimmer healthier version of myself. It took me a while to get my plate sizes sorted, and I still have some weekends that get a bit out of control but slowly and safely those lbs dripped away - without me ever getting that 'on a diet' feeling of being deprived all the time!

I have lost just over a stone and I really feel confident that it is gone for good! I also now walk to and from my office each day, it takes me 50 minutes but making it an automatic part of my day has helped me stick to that habit as well. Long term I'd like to lose 4 or 5lbs more, and be able to maintain around 9 1/2 stone but I'm not worrying about it. I know if I stay on habit those last few pounds will melt away as well. It's so freeing to not worry each day about what you can or can't eat and just get on with your life!

I have been telling everyone about this - but I found no one seems to really believes it can work to start with. There seems to be a disbelief that you can eat 'normally' and lose weight! They only starting to be interested once I had lost about half a stone and they could notice the change in me. The sad thing is that while I have been having my happy year, gaining control and losing weight, several people around me have been stuck in the endless cycle of diet failure. Might leave a few copies of the book round the office.....!

Looking forward to my next year of sane eating!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:35 pm

excellent!
thank you for checking in and sharing your experience!
so encouraging! :)
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

nettee

Post by nettee » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Well done - great to hear that no S works when you have less to lose. Congratulations on your first year
3 tasty meals a day and loving it

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Congratulations, LouMay! And thanks for letting us know.

Yes, one of my favorite things about No-s is its unobtrusiveness, how easily it slides into your existing life without making obvious ripples (though it does make some subtle ripples that can in time be quite beneficial in other, seemingly unrelated respects).

Love the urbanrangering! 50 minutes is great -- beats what I do! I hope you can relish the time for clearing your head, contemplation, listening to audiobooks, however you choose to use it.

It is funny, this disbelief in the sufficiency of "normal" eating to keep us healthy and fit, as if thousands of generations of our ancestors didn't manage to do this, as if health and fitness were some new invention, only to be achieved by protein powders and ketogenic somersaults. The sad truth is our society is so far from normal eating that these outlandish cures seem no more outlandish than our new status quo of permasnacking on well-marketed junk. Increasingly, it's hard to even tell the difference between the cure and the disease, they all seem to involve constant nibbling on stuff that comes out of brightly colored packages.

Reinhard

Ray E

Post by Ray E » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Reinhard, you make a great point about how far removed we are from "normal" eating patterns. Spring break last year we visited our daughter who was studying abroad in Paris and the biggest thing to me was how you "owned" your table at a restaurant. Once you were seated, you actually ate at an enjoyable pace. Bread was always provided too. I guess they didn't get the ketogenic message :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:55 am

This is fabulous. I run a small team for No S (with permission) on a diet site. May I share your story?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

LouMay

Post by LouMay » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm

oolala53 please share if you think it would be of interest :-)

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 pm

Congratulations on your success! Very inspiring!
No S Restart 05/22/19

Tombo

Post by Tombo » Wed May 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Thansk for sharing, it is great that this is working so well!

And yeah it is shocking tbh to be able to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight just eating regular food after society tries to condition us to not eat certain things.

Great post here from Reinhard too!