Tenth year

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DaveMc

Tenth year

Post by DaveMc » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm back to report a full decade of NoS! Double digits! I started NoS in July 2009 ... hard to imagine. :)

Link to last year's check-in: https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopi ... 13&t=11824

Another year on habit, and things are still chugging along nicely. One bump in the road: about six months ago, I noticed that my clothes were getting tighter, in a way that I could no longer blame on the laundry. My weight was gradually creeping up. (I don't weigh myself any more, but my general size has been stable for so long that tightening clothes is a pretty good indication of weight gain.) I took a look at what I was doing, and realized that I'd drifted into the habit of eating more than I used to, at meals -- so although there were (of course!) only three meals a day on N days, those meals had gradually become larger. I've deployed a sophisticated technique called "eating a bit less", and the swelling has begun to subside: I can feel those clothes gradually getting less tight.

(One clue that I was overdoing it, by the way, was that I was no longer feeling a bit hungry by the time I reached my next meal. That used to be a regular feature of my day: a slight but noticeable anticipation of the next meal. What used to be called "having an appetite" rather than "being hangry" or any of the dozen other silly labels floating around, all of which tend to imply that you must never, for an instant, feel even the slightest hunger. A cynical person might think that these ideas arise from the fact that not eating doesn't make any money for anyone.)

I continue to be a satisfied customer! Best of luck with your NoS journeys, everyone! My advice to newcomers may not sound very helpful, but it's the best I can offer: get over those difficult first six months (or so) (and they can be quite difficult, so don't be down on yourself if you're finding it a challenge -- it really is hard to change habits), then lock in to the new habit and spend the next decade (or more) cruising along ... You can do it!

automatedeating

Re: Tenth year

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:32 pm

Congrats Dave and thanks for the update!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:15 am

Congrats Dave, posts like this are inspiring :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Congratulations! That is a tremendous achievement.
Height: 5'4"
Highest weight: 210.4
Current Weight: 197.3
Goal Weight: 125-135

*^..^711

sharon227

Post by sharon227 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:22 am

What an inspiring post, thanks for sharing! I really love your point about "having an appetite" as opposed to "being hungry." Of course I should be truly ready for more food at my next meal instead of shoveling food in regardless of whether my body actually needs any. I'm going to keep that in mind.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Wed May 13, 2020 9:37 pm

I've gotta tell you, folks ... I'm sticking to NoS during lockdown, but I felt a need to give myself some sort of break, so Friday is now spelled sFriday and Fridays are S days for me. I can handle living surrounded by people emphatically not following NoS for four days a week, but that fifth day started to seem like too much. So until we return to something more like the Before Times, I'll be doing a 4/3 split of N/S days.

Hope you're all staying safe out there! Political leaders are not always correct in their pronouncements about what's safe or wise, so I would urge us all to consult public health experts for guidance on these matters ...

OhioHeather

Post by OhioHeather » Sat May 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Amen to all that!! I have toyed with the idea of doing, as you say, sFridays, but for a different reason. I‘be worked through all this as an “essential business” (hospital employee), so not an issue with family suddenly at home. But from the unwinding perspective, I feel like I’m “white-knuckling it” on Friday night, and I think that is stress related. And yet Sunday I May have a little something outside the 3 meals, but I could live without it. So I know you mean you added a day, versus trading a day, but my point I guess is that I too appreciate the flexibility of NoS and feel that as long as I make the change long term enough to still harness the power of (new) habit, then the spirit of the approach is still alive and well.

Hang in, all!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:06 am

Dave, I think it's so wise that you didn't just throw in the whole towel, but simply added a day. You are still ahead of the eat-whenever-you-want game! Heather, also a perfectly reasonable mod for now. I assume you can also adjust to possibly just maintaining, but with all the jokes on the web about people gaining while home (and not just jokes; I'm on another site where people can't hold back), that's still a feat. From browsing, it seems like people who've learned to have a meal routine are doing fine.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:51 pm

OhioHeather wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:40 pm
I‘ve worked through all this as an “essential business” (hospital employee) ...

Hang in, all!!
A double "hang in" to you, OhioHeather! I'm so grateful to everyone who has worked through this crisis, you've been doing so much to keep the rest of us safe.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:16 pm

I have not been reading this site lately but felt the need to get back on a stricter track. Reading posts helps. Your posts are thoughtful and relevant and helpful.. Thanks!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:23 pm

DaveMc wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:37 pm
I've gotta tell you, folks ... I'm sticking to NoS during lockdown, but I felt a need to give myself some sort of break, so Friday is now spelled sFriday and Fridays are S days for me. I can handle living surrounded by people emphatically not following NoS for four days a week, but that fifth day started to seem like too much. So until we return to something more like the Before Times, I'll be doing a 4/3 split of N/S days.

Hope you're all staying safe out there! Political leaders are not always correct in their pronouncements about what's safe or wise, so I would urge us all to consult public health experts for guidance on these matters ...
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Also to OhioHeather's service at the hospital.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:12 am

Sounds like a perfectly sensible solution to me Dave. I've listened to my body a lot during the pandemic and not added to my stress with too strict an eating regime.

It's paid off too with weight loss.

I definitely second the advice above re who to listen to re the pandemic.

Stay safe

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.