7 Years of No S Diet - With an integrated 24h Fast

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoSDoc

7 Years of No S Diet - With an integrated 24h Fast

Post by NoSDoc » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:42 pm

When I started the No S Diet in April 2014 I thought I would write a yearly check in every year. Until now I only written once:

viewtopic.php?t=10950

So I wanted to let you know how I am doing "on the Diet":

- I have practiced the No S Diet ever since, no stop, no pause
- it really go easier and easier - now it seems to be second nature to me
- I lost 6-7kg in the first year
- since then my weight stayed at about 72kg (minus 5kg from when I started)
- the 2kg weight gain is partly muscle (have been doing a lot of sport)
- other part may be some "big plates", especially my virtual plates sometimes are quite large. Another Topic for me are left-overs from our child. I found myself eating it up using the virtual plate model. Currently I am trying to be more aware of that...
- But especially no Snacking and no Sweets on N-Days is easy to follow for me. Which seems to be the most crucial part of the Diet.
- My Saturdays are often still quite wild in terms of eating sweets (Not much snacking, 1-plate-meals more or less without thinking also on the weekends)
- while my Sundays are quite moderate in terms of Sweets
- there are not many "failures" - perhaps one every second month or so

There is one modification I practice. Over the years I have built in a 24 hour fast. There is so much data out there promoting the health benefits of intermittant fasting. Especially Autophagy seems to play a big role in long term health. And there are a lot of other benefits, physical and mental. So I experimented a lot how and when to integrate a fast in the week. Also I tried different time periods. What I found most useful / easy / fitting / organic was that after a "weekend of Eating" I started the week with a fast in order to cleanse my system and "recalibrate". I usually stop eating after dinner on Sunday and my next Food is dinner on Monday. I do not plan for a certain amount of hours, but it more or less ends up to be 23h of fasting once a week. Dinner Monday is one normal plate.
I have been doing this since 3 years now. There are Mondays where I hardly notice I am fasting. Other Mondays are quite tough. But in general it has become a habit I do not think about so much, just like the No S Diet.

Following the No S Diet is part of my life. But for me thinking in terms of habits, not goals, systematic moderation and giving my life again a rhythm (N-Days // S-Days) has changed so much more for me. I built so many good habits over the years which I have been struggling with before. So you could say the No S Diet was a starting point and reference model for a systematic, moderate change in many areas of my life.

Again, Reinhard, I cannot thank you enough for sharing your thoughts with us!

Yours, from Germany

Stefan
Last edited by NoSDoc on Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ladybird30

Re: 7 Years of No S Diet - With an integrated 24h Fast

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:48 am

Great to hear you have done well over the last few years.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:08 am

Thanks for sharing - it is so enlightening to hear from long term No-S'ers how things are going and how you have made the system work for you. Very inspirational!

freeandeasy

Post by freeandeasy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:54 am

Great job NoSDoc, thank you for sharing your testimonial.
It inspires me. I also appreciate the reminder about creating a habit vs being on a diet.

I also practice intermittent fasting and it has become a habit for me. After much trial and error I have settled on eating within an 8 hour window most days. Usually around the middle of the day.
I've been doing it so long now that it feels normal and good for my body.

I'm wishing you many more years of health and success!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:09 pm

So glad to hear this and thank you for sharing!

The 24 hour fast a week is interesting... your timing is indeed good within the no-s framework!

I've been doing "meditative Mondays" with a slightly longer than usual medication session (still pitifully short, just 14 minutes, but I get something out of it).

Maybe I add a fast and call it "monastic Monday" ;-)

I guess on Yom Kippur I fast 24 hours and it doesn't trouble me much.

Reinhard