It is Time to Post

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

waistj

It is Time to Post

Post by waistj » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Hello everyone:

I am male, 5 foot 10 inches and started my journey last fall when after the active summer season, the weight started climbing again. I peaked at 195 pounds. Overweight by BMI standards and I just looked heavy.

I started "eating clean" last October. And while that took "junk" out of my diet, I still ate a lot of food. And I certainly didn't exercise at the rate of most "clean eating" followers. I lost some weight because by November I was down to 191 pounds and attributed it to "eating clean". In the end, it was hard to stick to.

I started looking at more behavior modification and found the "Bite Diet" Yes, you literally counted your bites at each meal and snack. 3 meals a day and a few snacks. Meals started off at 21 bites and snacks at 11 bites. Self-control and a sense of reasonableness needed here. "How big is a bite?" And just try keeping track of your bites and carry-on a conversation with family and friends. Down to 189 by December 2010.

In December I read an article in AARP Magazine (Yes, I qualify to subscribe). It was about mindless eating, by Brian Wansink, and how small changes in your environment and habits can result in good weight control over the long-haul. I agree that we do not magically wake up in the morning 50 pounds heavier. It happened to me over 27 years. I remember weighing 145 pounds in my 20's.

So I created my daily checklist as the article instructs and added 3 "food-related changes" that I wanted to make based on my bad habits. They were:

No eating after dinner! Might sound a little like this sites "No Snacks"
1 Plate of food for dinner! Sound familiar too?
No chips, cookies, cake or candy! Some commonality there as well.

I liked the plan even though I never hit a 100% successful week. It is something I thought I could do for the long-haul.

So one day in January, while cruising the internet, I stumbled upon the No-S Diet and it all clicked for me.

I have officially been on No-S since January and do truly feel as though I have changed my eating habits. Am I perfect in the rules, no. I wish I could say that I have even had a 100% successful week but I can't. But then again I am very strict on the rules. One potato chip after lunch is a bad mark. My work to have perfect weeks continues and I will succeed and be able to say that I have created good eating habits that can be supported easily for the rest of my life along with a doable exercise routine. I do eat healthier, even "clean". But don't worry too much if I have a frozen dinner for a meal as long as it is one plate of food.

So, since officially starting No-S at 188 pounds in January I am now 178.

Thanks to all of you and see you in a few months!

Tony

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:26 pm

Congratulations! :D
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Holy crap. Way to go!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Andie

Post by Andie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Wow! That's wonderful! Congratulations on your success and hard work :)
Back after a long hiatus.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:48 pm

Welcome, Toni!

Congratulations on hitting this milestone and thank you for letting us know.

I love it when people essentially come up with No-s on their own and then rediscover it here -- further confirmation of it's fundamental rightness and sanity, I think.

Reinhard

Mrandy1

Post by Mrandy1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:06 pm

That is a great story and is totally motivating!

Congrats!! - and thanks for sharing your story.
Andy
Mrandy1

Starting weight 3/20/2011: 176
Weight as of 4/23/2011. 169.8
Weight as of 5/5/2011. 169.5
goal BMI 24.9 = 164 lbs

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:46 am

Very cool! Good job 8) , keep it up, and thanks for inspiring us!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Thank you for your post, very inspiring! :D :) :lol: :wink: :D
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.