Social situations don't allow ONE PHYSICAL BOWL!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alicerabbit

Social situations don't allow ONE PHYSICAL BOWL!

Post by alicerabbit » Thu May 22, 2014 10:50 am

I've been consistantly no-sing for almost 2 months (with a couple of fails), although I have made the 'no seconds' rule not always apply... or at least do a lot of 'virtual plating' and here is why:
Eating out a lot (due to my work situation and having no fridge or microwave at work for lunch as well as eating out being really cheap as I live in Beijing), I can rarely eat from one physical plate. This is because food in Beijing is served as lots of dishes to be shared and the only time I get a plate to myself is when I cook or eat in a western restaurant.

I would love to be able to follow this 'no seconds' rule, and would have no trouble if I were living back in Australia but I have surprisingly become good at eating regular sized meals without the confines of one physical plate. Now that I say that aloud, I feel a bit better about being lenient with the 'one plate' rule.

Anyone else have this problem? I just hope I can keep up the eating regular (normal) sized meals without needing a visual reminder (like one plate).
One step back, two steps forward!:)

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu May 22, 2014 11:15 am

Hmm, I often virtual plate but seconds was never my problem. My problems are snacking and sweets so I am fine, even if I am sure I'm on the heavy side of plates anyways. (amazing what amount of food you can get on a 8" plate without stacking, lol).

So if seconds is your downfall I would find a way to properly plate at least for one or two weeks (bring your own paper plate?) until you have an eye for it/ the stomach for it. And yes, I'm not kidding. I think after all the million diets are out there a paper plate will be no weirder than some of the other diets. Just say it's a medical thing and wait if anyone defies you (I guess not).

If not - I wouldn't worry too much.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

MamieTamar

Post by MamieTamar » Thu May 22, 2014 11:19 am

I never have only one physical plate, since this is not the way we eat in France. I go by intuition of what a "normal portion" of anything is, and more important by what amount of food it takes to get you to the next meal pleasantly hungry but not starving.
age 77
SBMI:29
CBMI: 27,7

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 22, 2014 12:09 pm

People who live in countries where serving meals in courses or in several small plates or bowls don"t consume more food than those of us who use one plate. In fact, partly due to the size of our plates, we often consume more food.

Do what works where you are. As the old saying goes, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:31 pm

I suggest you rehearse at home with similar bowls, filling them with similar foods and then putting the food on a plate. OR put food on a plate and then transfer to bowls to get an eyeball on the volume.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

weebly

Re: Social situations don't allow ONE PHYSICAL BOWL!

Post by weebly » Fri May 23, 2014 1:59 am

alicerabbit wrote:I've been consistantly no-sing for almost 2 months (with a couple of fails), although I have made the 'no seconds' rule not always apply... or at least do a lot of 'virtual plating' and here is why:
Eating out a lot (due to my work situation and having no fridge or microwave at work for lunch as well as eating out being really cheap as I live in Beijing), I can rarely eat from one physical plate. This is because food in Beijing is served as lots of dishes to be shared and the only time I get a plate to myself is when I cook or eat in a western restaurant.

I would love to be able to follow this 'no seconds' rule, and would have no trouble if I were living back in Australia but I have surprisingly become good at eating regular sized meals without the confines of one physical plate. Now that I say that aloud, I feel a bit better about being lenient with the 'one plate' rule.

Anyone else have this problem? I just hope I can keep up the eating regular (normal) sized meals without needing a visual reminder (like one plate).
Hi there, I too am from Australia, currently living in Singapore. This was one of my biggest challenges. I think virtual plating is your best option. I also try not to finish the entire serving of each course. I might aim for half or 3/4 serve of each course. Usually rice is served last, so if I feel by the time we get to the last course, that I have undereaten throughout, then I might eat the whole serve of rice or reduce rice accordingly. Usually someone else does the ordering here, and it's difficult to judge just how many dishes there are going to be throughout the meal, so I have found this 'wait and see' method the easiest way to virtual plate and not overeat.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Weebly, that reminds me of a technique recommended by William Cowper in his book on how to use principles of French eating to lose and stabilize weight. He says to serve yourself AS IF you will take seconds later. He also recommends savoring and eating slowly. The French eat in courses, which I imagine is similar to the pace you receive at restaurants. And of course their servings are moderate. The combination results in eating less but being satisfied.

I'd be curious about the content of the meals. Is it as vegetable-heavy as the reputation? What about the salt taste? I think Chinese food in the states tastes quite salty. Is it true in the homeland?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 24, 2014 10:46 pm

oolala53 wrote: I'd be curious about the content of the meals. Is it as vegetable-heavy as the reputation? What about the salt taste? I think Chinese food in the states tastes quite salty. Is it true in the homeland?
I've read that once the Chinese had enough food to eat (and before they had their own obesity epidemic), the salt content of their diet was the major dietary cause of disease. Many foods are/were preserved in salt in addition to salty condiments. Their average daily sodium consumption was 6-10 grams. My guess is that it hasn't changed in traditional cooking.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."