New to No S'ing

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Shug

New to No S'ing

Post by Shug » Fri May 30, 2014 3:46 pm

I just stumbled across the No S Diet on the internet 2 days ago. I was on yet another desperate search to not only drop some weight but more importantly to not let food be so important in my life. Every diet I try, I do well for a few days and then one evening I explode into a snacking monster. Started No S the day I read about it and even though this is only my third day, I haven't felt pitiful and deprived yet. Tomorrow will be my first S day. I have no reason to think that I cannot continue this for ever. I ordered the book yesterday as I think having the book will be a good encouragement along the way. :D
Shug

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Fri May 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Welcome! I'm coming up on the five-year mark of following NoS, so I guess you could say that I've found it to be pretty sustainable. :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri May 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Welcome! This is simple (easy to understand), but it isn't easy (wiithout effort). It is sustainable, but I can guarantee you that at some point it will be difficult - maybe only for a short period of time, maybe for a longer time.

You will have good days, you will have bad days and you will have downright awful days. This is to be expected. I think it was KCCC who said, and I paraphrase, if you haven't had a red day, you're either new or you're a liar.

I say this not to discourage you, but to warn you so that when it happens you aren't surprised. It has happened to everyone here.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:40 pm

Literally millions of people live by principles very close to No S, and what recommendations are different can be backed up by habit theory, so, yes, you can live with this for the long term! But there will be a learning wave, I prefer to say rather than a learning curve, most likely. It may go up, down, and up, etc. You may still have to get past the What The Hell effect and the I-don't-need-no-stinking-rules hissy fit. Small prices to pay!

I'm finishing up 4.4 years this month.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)