the documentary "Fed Up"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

the documentary "Fed Up"

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:04 pm

This is currently playing here in San Diego. I'm not sure I need to pay premium prices to see this on a big screen. I mean, though I'm not a purist about sugar, I'm basically in the choir. Of course, being anti-Holocaust didn't stop me from watching The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

Has anyone else seen Fed Up? Do you think it will make a difference? Supersize Me did get McDonald's to stop automatically suggesting supersizing, but I doubt that has made much of an impact on total consumption.

But it's fun to dream...
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:34 am

Oolala, brilliant question, I'd love to see the film and see how it will transform the sugar industry or the subsidies.

Supersize Me had massive implications for McDonalds in Austria. We don't have a supersize anymore (which they had started to roll out just pre-film) and now there are lots of healthy-ish options. At my local one (they are franchised and I know this is one of the best in Austria) your meal automatically comes with a salad unless you specifically ask for chips and they suggest sparkling water to you.

I hate McDonalds in any country but Austria, where they really won me over. I once had it in the US and never in the UK because that US one was the most disgusting food experience I can imagine. Maybe it was that specific one that was so bad but it turned me off forever. In Austria they also have the highest meet quality seal and Austria has very high standards. The film helped to push them up even further and lots of fast food placed were hit hard.

Just saying - those documentaries need to be supported. I'm happy to pay someone who says things against the food lobby a premium if it leads to consumer changes.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:24 am

eschano wrote: I hate McDonalds in any country but Austria, where they really won me over. I once had it in the US and never in the UK because that US one was the most disgusting food experience I can imagine. Maybe it was that specific one that was so bad but it turned me off forever. In Austria they also have the highest meet quality seal and Austria has very high standards. The film helped to push them up even further and lots of fast food placed were hit hard.
Yea, here in the most powerful country on earth they can (and do) feed us poor quality food. Fast food and fast casual restaurants and many of our public schools are the worst.

I haven't seen Fed Up, but I'd like to see it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:59 pm

I'm pretty sure the film talks about all the sugar added in so many packaged foods, as well as the rest of the issues.

I dunno, I had a pretty good fish sandwich at Carl's Jr. this week. I was surprised that it wasn't breaded and fried. Good enough in a pinch. One thing I wanted when I set out on No S was not to feel I had to carry a picnic basket with me when I left the house for the day.

I'll rent Fed Up for sure, if I don't see it in a theater.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:23 am

Haven't heard about it here in the UK but will search it out for sure, sounds interesting.
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones