Rock Bottom: Am I Ready?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lookingup

Rock Bottom: Am I Ready?

Post by lookingup » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Hey Everyone:

A little about me: I'm 31 years old, male. When I graduated from college in 2005, I was fit and trim. 6'1", 175 lbs. I looked and felt great. After graduation, I entered the workforce, stopped walking, started driving, snacking, overeating, etc. My new "normal" weight tended to be 205, but in the past six months I've put on another 10 (stress of my wife having a tough pregnancy, our third and fourth children were born in mid-June). My doctor told me I'm beginning to move from "overweight" to "obese." My blood pressure and cholesterol are out of whack, and I feel awful.

Since my boys were born, I'm getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night, and I'm hungry and cranky all the time. There is definitely an emotional component to my eating (eating when tired or stressed), but then guilt sets in.

I successfully did No S in 2009 and dropped from 205 to 185 lbs, felt and looked great. I think it's time to do it again.

Here is my question: considering my stress level, lack of sleep, trying to juggle family, job, other responsibilities, do you have any specific pointers for someone in my situation? I really want this to work. I feel like it's not just for me this time, but for my family. They need me to be at my healthiest so I can provide and be there for the memory-making moments.

Thanks,
lookingup

ironchef

Re: Rock Bottom: Am I Ready?

Post by ironchef » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:15 pm

lookingup wrote:Here is my question: considering my stress level, lack of sleep, trying to juggle family, job, other responsibilities, do you have any specific pointers for someone in my situation? I really want this to work. I feel like it's not just for me this time, but for my family. They need me to be at my healthiest so I can provide and be there for the memory-making moments.

Thanks,
lookingup
Welcome lookingup. You have a great motivator in a young family, both in wanting to be healthy for them and hopefully being a good role model for your kids, so they can grown up seeing what normal, healthy eating (with some treats) looks like.

I started No S in a very sleep deprived situation with a newborn, so I feel your pain to some extent. One tip is try not to use food (for me especially sugar) when what you actually lack is sleep, fun, relaxation, time alone, etc. Try to find a way to get what you actually need, rather than food.

The other thing is to keep in mind that No S will actually mean more time for everything else. When you've only got 3 eating events (and associated clean up) for yourself each day, you cut down on the time and energy feeding yourself. If you're like me, there is lots of time feeding and cleaning up after kids, but at least you've taken your own additional snacking times out of the picture. No S is one thing you don't have to worry about - you can lean on routine, even when everything else is in chaos.

Finally, work out a few what Reinhard calls "intelligent dietary defaults" to make your life simpler. Stashing a few healthy basics at work, or having a "go to" for nights when you and your partner are just exhausted and need to crash out is what can help keep you on track on the tough days.

Very best wishes on your journey!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Please just CONSIDER dropping any responsibilities beyond family and job that don't serve to restore your spirit rather than continue to drain you. Is there anything you can do go to bed earlier so that you can get more sleep? Do the evenings have to be so full?

Distinguish between being hungry and just desiring food. Very few people are actually hungry all the time, but many people desire food a lot because it is reinforcing and it has become a habit. It isn't needed and can actually make things worse to "feed" the false hunger.

As was pointed out, you have a motivation in striving to find balance with food. Regular moderate eating will support your busy life! Enjoy your meals, as simple as they might be, and then focus on the tasks at hand.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:34 pm

I very much feel for you. I also have a young family, with the added stress of one of my sons having special needs. I think the structure of No S will really help you, because you can eat at your set times and just be done with it. Also, I definitely second everything ironchef and oolala said. I know I am far from perfect at following No S, but when I follow it consistently and make healthier choices most of the time, I feel a lot better.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:06 pm

Maybe a beverage treat? I use La Croix water, essentially a flavored seltzer. Coffee in the AM.

It does get better. Hang in there.

leafy_greens

Re: Rock Bottom: Am I Ready?

Post by leafy_greens » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:05 pm

lookingup wrote:Hey Everyone:

A little about me: I'm 31 years old, male. When I graduated from college in 2005, I was fit and trim. 6'1", 175 lbs. I looked and felt great. After graduation, I entered the workforce, stopped walking, started driving, snacking, overeating, etc. My new "normal" weight tended to be 205, but in the past six months I've put on another 10 (stress of my wife having a tough pregnancy, our third and fourth children were born in mid-June). My doctor told me I'm beginning to move from "overweight" to "obese." My blood pressure and cholesterol are out of whack, and I feel awful.

Since my boys were born, I'm getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night, and I'm hungry and cranky all the time. There is definitely an emotional component to my eating (eating when tired or stressed), but then guilt sets in.

I successfully did No S in 2009 and dropped from 205 to 185 lbs, felt and looked great. I think it's time to do it again.

Here is my question: considering my stress level, lack of sleep, trying to juggle family, job, other responsibilities, do you have any specific pointers for someone in my situation? I really want this to work. I feel like it's not just for me this time, but for my family. They need me to be at my healthiest so I can provide and be there for the memory-making moments.

Thanks,
lookingup
You didn't say what kind of job you have, but I know how hard it is to keep from snacking at work. For some reason, desk jobs and snacking seem to go hand-in-hand. But fortunately, snacking at your desk is merely a habit and habits can be changed. Getting up, drinking some water, or making a list can help clear food thoughts out of your head. Eventually snacking will have no place at your desk and food there will feel wrong.

You already understand how important sleep is, and how your life is adversely affected by lack of sleep. You should make sleep as much a priority as eating well. If you don't, you will be depressed and cranky - just the kind of environment where the snacking monster thrives. 4-5 hours is not enough! I personally need 8.5 hours to feel comfortable. Everyone is different. It may be harder with kids but somehow you must get more than 4-5 hours.

It sounds counter-intuitive that sleep will aid in weight loss, because you're not moving around and burning extra calories, but you can't eat when you're asleep, which resists excess calorie consumption. Also, sleeping is like meditation which just makes your whole life easier. Good luck.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Sleep is very supportive of exerting willpower. It is much harder to control any impulse if you don't get enough sleep. Possible, but harder.

Inch up, if you have to.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

uschi

Post by uschi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:34 am

Lookingup, congratulations on your twins! With a couple older little ones about as well, I second the advice already given about sleep. Just consider that your number one hobby for now. My sister had twins, and you've already heard this advice, I'm sure: their first year is a blur and you and your wife just have to survive it. Good sleep and eating habits will help, and walking could be your number two hobby. Those little ones will soon be ready for a back pack or baby jogger*-- win-win-win for exercise for you, an outing for one or more twins or older kids, and your wife will be most appreciative. You may have to forego workouts at the gym for a while, but you'll have a boy wanting to pump iron next to you sooner than you may think!

*I think the standard advice is for infants to be at least 6-8 weeks old, maybe even 3-4 months (depending on terrain and speed) for running in a jogger type stroller, maybe a little longer for a back pack (walking only)--their little necks and backs need to be strong. Best to check with your pediatrician. Front carriers and slings are best for newborns, but that 's not every guy's thing and you can't walk that briskly with them anyway. Theoretically a fit and (mentally tough) man or woman can convey up to 4 little ones in front and back carrier, double stroller or jogger combined, but it's quite an undertaking getting everyone in place!