First Fail

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lyra

First Fail

Post by Lyra » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Today was my first true fail on No S. I saw it happening... couldn't resist the chips in the cabinet... walked toward them... heard voices in my head telling me not to eat them, that I just need to wait a few days, that I'm not even hungry... and saw myself as if from the outside not listening to myself, just grabbing a handful and eating them.

And now I don't feel any better than I did before. No less "hungry," certainly.

I know that I shouldn't even have had those chips in the cabinet (they were left over from my son's birthday party, though, and since the rest of the family is snacking...)

How does everyone deal with the angel/devil voices on your shoulders? What could I have done (well, obviously I know what I should have done) to have had this situation turn out differently?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:46 am

I don't consider chips an S day food. If I want them I make them part of a meal. Between meals, however, they're baked snack.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ironchef

Re: First Fail

Post by ironchef » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:28 am

Lyra wrote:How does everyone deal with the angel/devil voices on your shoulders? What could I have done (well, obviously I know what I should have done) to have had this situation turn out differently?
I recognise that my willpower / motivation / resistance waxes and wanes. Some weeks I don't even consider snacking, other times I have to really try hard to resist. When things are going well I enjoy riding the wave, and when things are going less well I try to put one foot in front of the other and remember that things will turn around again.

Things that help me are not having stuff in the house (as you said) or including the thing I really want at a meal as wosnes suggests. Also, sometimes just the knowledge that I can go to my check in thread and say "hey, I wanted to do this and I didn't!" is enough to motivate me to stop.

Someone once described those who follow No S as: those who have red days, those who haven't had their first red day yet, and liars :) Fails are very normal, and I wouldn't place too much significance on one event. If you start to see a pattern of reds, then you can consider reasons why and take action.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:13 am

Lyra, the chips are always calling my name. That bottle of Vicodin I flushed a month and a half ago, it was calling my name as well. That was a miserable week that followed.

I guess the point being, failure is a part of everyday. I do the same thing, go three or four days, wonderfully, then pile drive Snickers, or Twinkies, or 44 oz. of Coke. I believe we are looking at the overall effect. Shooting for 5 days on, and 2 days "off" is the goal. However, four days on, days off, and a "fudge" day, will probably net a loss as well.

Most of us are reaching for perfection, but then we end up doing the best we can.

Well, I am off.

Have a good evening.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:40 am

Good one over43!

Lyra, I strongly recommend the podcast on strictness. And I would have tried to wait for lunch as it's not an S food. However, I fail. I fail a lot. I'm still reached a happy weight. So the most important thing is to move on. The next success is just one meal period away.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Lyra

Post by Lyra » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks All,

It's good to know I'm not alone. The bright side of the story is that I stopped with one handful and didn't let the fail derail me for the rest of the day.

4islandgirls

Post by 4islandgirls » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:01 pm

You stopped at one handful and didn't let it derail you? Sorry, but I would not call that a fail! Technically yes, but if you are anything like most of us on here with histories of diet-head, that is a major accomplishment!

Also, I make sure that I include sprinklings of not so healthy food (like chips) in my meals throughout the week. It's just plain old fun to eat them and not feel a twinge of guilt and I think it also keeps the monsters at bay!

Your doing great, mark it and move on!

~Jo