There are pros to having kids! (diet-wise)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

There are pros to having kids! (diet-wise)

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Yes, they exhaust your already limited willpower BUT occasionally their sharp little eyes help keep you on the straight and narrow.

Case in point: normally I drink my coffee black, but when it's hot, and iced coffee feels more appropriate, I drink it with milk and sugar. The way I make it is to first brew up half a french press of water (full press-worth of coffee), then in a pitcher pour some sugar, pour some milk on top and swish it around, then some hot coffee, swish some more, then a ton of ice, then the rest of the coffee. Nice and easy and better than what I get at the local coffee shop because the sugar actually dissolves in the warm milk-coffee before the ice hits.

My seven year old was observing this process this morning commented, "Dad, it's not an S day." As you all know, sugar in coffee is officially permitted on the No-s home page, but it startled me to see what close attention she was paying! God forbid I should reach for a cookie or a chip on an N-day with these little diet cops around. :-)

Reinhard

pd3

Post by pd3 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:57 pm

good story!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Lol! Love it.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Just you wait. While most of us may have noticed that our parent's actions weren't always consistent with what they preached, most of us would never have considered pointing it out to them. Now they don't seem to think twice about it. My kids (now adults) keep me walking my talk.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:44 pm

That happened today at the store. The Twinkie display was winking at me. One of my 15 year olds stated, "Dad you do not need those."
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:12 am

Aww, bless! I just love it :) There is no escaping with the observant eyes of a child on you.

We've been teaching our son to be gentle with the dog. When I wiped his chin the other day:
"Stop it Mummy! Be gentle!"
Yup, I got told :)