I'm Ready!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Belle

I'm Ready!

Post by Belle » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Hello, No-S'ers - I have lurked around for years - (actually long enough without posting anything that I needed to pick a new name and start over) After doing far too much reading, it has finally occurred to me that this is the only way of eating that makes sense. And, in truth, is how I ate as a slender child and young adult. Sadly I picked up some bad habits. I am a WW Lifetime member, but now I just can't track all day - and play Points - and eat artificial food -

So, for me, it has to be real, it has to taste delicious, and it has to be healthy. So I am ready to dive right in.

There is so much wisdom and support on these boards.

When talking to my husband about what I wanted to do, he added a 4th S - No S**t - meaning, nothing made in the "laboratory" (as it were.)

I joined as Librariantoo (which I am - a librarian too, although at home now, helping out with a 90 year old Mom) Now I am Belle, since, yes, I am at home here in Georgia, where I grew up, so I am indeed a southern belle.

So we are off to being our No S adventure - almost Vanilla NO S, with the added thought of our own No S.

I am looking forward to losing my Diet Head. It is way past time for that little voice in my head to hush up, now.
:D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:21 pm

Welcome! This plan is so sensible.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Welcome, this is a wonderful board filled with supportive like minded posters. I learn a lot by reading all the daily check ins and keep myself accountable by being honest here.

To your health,
Berry

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:11 pm

Welcome!
I hope you really enjoy the freedom to only count meals :)

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:12 pm

Welcome

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:22 am

Welcome back Belle!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Belle

I'm Ready!

Post by Belle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Good morning! Happy Monday, everyone. Here's to three plates. Cheers!

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:13 pm

I recommend to drop the fourth rule!

Your "No S**t"-Rule can and will make the diet much harder with only little to gain from it.

Let's, just for the sake of argument, say there are two kinds of food: Good one and bad one. Because we don't want to touch the magic food list, let's further say, you should eat more of the good food and less of the bad food in general.

For most people good food seems to be "organic, natural, healthy, etc.". I don't like any of this words, because they are more or less badly defined but, back to topic.

I bet, that with just the "No sweets" and the "No snacks" you would cut a whole bunch of food you would call "bad".

That is enough! No need to punish yourself more! Moderation is the key! You can have the bad food too, your body can handle it easy... in moderation.

Let's say one of your meals is a pizza, or a burger with fries: It is ok. If you like it, and you are hungry for it, just eat it. You probably won't eat it every meal, but it is ok to have it in your diet. Just eat less of it and more of your good food. That way you don't get the cravings for the bad food.

I reached the best form of my life, my best blood results since i was 16 and made peace with my eating. All of that with burgers, fries, pizza, sandwiches, Döners etc... in moderation.

So, plz start easy. Add other rules later, after forming the basic-habbits.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

Belle

I'm Ready!

Post by Belle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks, GermanHerman,

I think you make some excellent points - and some I hadn't really considered. That is why experience is soooo helpful.

And, I think you are right - getting rid of snacks and sweets (except for days that start with S) will help me get rid of a lot of what my spouse was looking at as S**t.

One of my favorite relatives has stayed healthy with good blood work from a lifetime of moderation. It is a good model to follow. He is in his mid 80s and still the size he was in graduate school. He hikes for exercise - nothing extreme. (and yes, he is my Dutch uncle)

OK - I'm ready! - for vanilla No S - and forming the basic good habits.

Thanks again, GermanHerman. I appreciate your thoughtful post.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Welcome to NoS Sanity!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:02 pm

GermanHerman,
you are such an inspiration to us...I'd think I speak for many here :wink:
_______
h

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:08 am

Welcome, Belle!

Your husband's fourth, four letter S is amusing -- but you are right to take GermanHerman's cautions to heart.

The cure for diet head is diet habit -- and diet habit must be simple and clear, a "good enough" that your whole body can grok vs. the intellectually perfect.

Reinhard

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:10 am

reinhard wrote:The cure for diet head is diet habit
A resounding yes to that Reinhard!

and Germanherman: love your sound and simple advice.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:55 pm

eschano wrote: and Germanherman: love your sound and simple advice.
Thank you, i'm still blushing. Anything else but simple advises would exceed my level of the english language. :)
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

Belle

I'm Ready!

Post by Belle » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks, Reinhard, and everyone.

I am so ready to be rid of the diet head.

Two more S's I am noticing already:
Support and Sanity are found here.

Ahhhh.......

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 am

germanherman wrote: Anything else but simple advises would exceed my level of the english language. :)
Lol! Then I hope that more non-natives speakers join here - the simpler the better :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016