What if I want to gain weight?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

robboc

What if I want to gain weight?

Post by robboc » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:10 am

I like the concept of this "diet". So I've been doing it for the past month. The only thing is, I wish I wasn't losing weight from it. I have my reasons for doing the diet (chronic health problems that don't want to go away), but losing weight isn't one of them. I'm a 5'8" male and a little under 60kgs, and lost 2kgs this month. I no longer want to snack or eat fast food, because even if it keeps weight on me, it's an unhealthy lifestyle choice and exacerbates my other health problems.

So what do you think if I alter the diet abit to this: when I do eat meals, I'll allow myself to eat till I'm full, rather than limiting myself to one plate and no seconds. So I'll be following two thirds of the diet (no sweets and snacks), but can have seconds when I'm still hungry. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. My main priority is to get healthy, rather than gain weight. So my concern is if I do eat till I'm full, maybe it will negate any health gains I can get from this diet.

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Wow!

That problem is new i guess.

It's pretty hard to give any advice without knowing your health-conditions.

So here is what i did. When i lost enough weight by following the No S-Diet, i wanted to build muscles without losing my good eating habbits.

I needed around 1300-1600 kcal. more a day to build muscles. I just increased the carbs.-part of my meals (more bread, more pasta, more potatoes etc.) and i drank protein shakes as part of my training-sessions. That way i tricked my mind, not seeing them as meal, but as part of the training.

So in fazit: Eat three good meals a day with a big part carbs, and smaller parts of protein and fat.
Last edited by germanherman on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

elegantportions

Post by elegantportions » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Personally, I think NoS could be successfully adapted to benefit any health condition. Well, perhaps not 24-hour drip tube feeding, but I think you get my point.

If you are being still hungry at mealtimes, definitely increase portion sizes for those meals. If you are losing weight, then you certainly are not consuming excessive amounts. Many of us on this board can only dream of making that claim.

If you would like to keep the simple rules of NoS in place, rather than taking seconds, consider adding a scheduled extra meal for your hungriest time of the day. Prepare a list of intelligent defaults that you will eat for your extra meal, and eat it only if needed. That way, the underlying structure of NoS remains intact and it's easy to eat the extra meal or not depending on your intake needs for that particular day. The big problems with snacks are that they tend to be low in nutrition and too easily become mindless constant grazing. You avoid both those issues by making the extra meal a high-quality, scheduled event.

Thank you for posting, and I hope NoS continues to be of value for you.
EP
5'5" Female Age 62
Dec 2018 Year 5 BMI = 25.8

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm also 5'8" and just over 60kg, although I am a woman (not sure what the differences in metabolism would be). I maintain on No S on three plates a day.

Anyway, if your preference is to eat until you are full at each of 3 meals, I don't see that being a problem. In fact, I'm pretty sure there is at least one long term poster here who didn't realise there was a 1 plate rule until they had already been successful for a long time.

My only other thought is to make sure there is fat in your meals. It doesn't have to be oil or butter, it can be avocado, nuts, nut butters, etc. Fatty foods pack a lot more energy punch for a smaller size, so can fit on a plate but up the total calories on the plate.

Good luck!