interesting articles

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

interesting articles

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:30 am

Apparently there IS one simple, but not easy, way to lose weight. We know what it is. The first part of the article is about diet.

From diets to UKIP: the rise of the "easy answers" industry

Paleo, vegan, gluten-free -- the only certainty about health trends is their reversal
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:14 pm

So true!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:07 pm

I had a great time reading these articles, wosnes! I loved the Jimmy Kimmel link about "What is gluten?" :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Another good one:
Is our sugar paranoia getting out of control.

I agree with the author about the exercise. Beyond not walking or biking as much as in the past,every labor saving device we use takes away a little more of the calorie burn we used to have.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:14 am

Thank you so much for the articles! They are really great. I especially liked the one about easy answers.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 am

I feel.the same way about using the "healthy" to describe the way we eat as this author feels about "clean eating." It really doesn't mean anything.

Stop.Describing Your Diet as "Clean Eating"

Eggs, gluten, red meat, potatoes: Do they deserve the insults?

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:27 am

I so agree. I find the words 'healthy' and 'clean' somewhere between meaningless and annoying. I'm not a fan of labeling either my food or myself. Been there, done that, not doing it anymore.

I used to be a serious WAPFer. I still cook from scratch (mostly) with the best ingredients I can afford and avoid the biggest 'offenders' but I no longer fret about pasteurized milk, or cereal or whether my honey is truly raw. Life is a whole lot easier.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:04 am

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:08 am

Love your articles wosnes!

I completely agree that "clean eating" is ridiculous. But I actually liked some of their recipes - I'll add some rice to it and they'll be perfect (though not "clean").
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:26 am

Great articles. People expressing their disbelief and doubt about the effectiveness of No S are certainly very fond of "easy answers industry".

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:19 am

eschano wrote:Love your articles wosnes!

I completely agree that "clean eating" is ridiculous. But I actually liked some of their recipes - I'll add some rice to it and they'll be perfect (though not "clean").
Depends on your definition of "clean!"

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Her Family Stopped Eating Sugar for a Year
No mention of weight loss (or if there is, I missed it), but it has me considering cutting back on sugar.

Cookbook Shows How to Eat Well on a Food Stamp.Budget
Unlike most, this has some appealing recipes and doesn't rely on processed foods.

Why Are So Many Low-Income People Overweight
Interesting theory and kind of reminds me of the thinking behind wild S days.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi wosnes,

I've eaten (almost) sugar free for 2 years now. I started it long before I heard of no-s just because It seemed logical to me that we just don't need all that sugar. It was pretty easy for me to cut out the added sugar and now I've lost my taste for it and rarely eat sweets of any kind. I didn't loose weight because I ate too much other junk and ate too often, but now, I enjoy the taste of all my food much more. Over all, I recommend it. It does take a significant number of hours in the beginning to read labels because there is sugar (in some form) in almost everything but once you know your products shopping is faster.

Thanks for posting the articles.

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:43 am

Nowadays i'm perplexed by this, back then i used to do the same.

The standard american diet (SAD) is a diet of "too much and too little". To much high processed food, to much sugar, too much transfats and at the same time too little vegetable, healthy fats, complex carbohydrates and fiber.

The sensible solution seems to be: Reduce the "too much" increase the "too little". The dose makes the poison.

No sugar at all? Why not: Less sugar?
No processed food? Why not: Less processed food?

But "sensible" (like Moderation) doesn't sell anything. You have to fight the excesses with excess when you want to sell books, diets and so on. You have to create an enemy (like sugar, processed food etc.) because if you just say "too much" you are implying a fault by your potential customers.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:27 am

Wosnes, love your articles and the discussion.

Completely agree gremanherman. Did you read that article on the "easy answer industry"? It's the first one in the thread. I think you'd enjoy it!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:36 pm

When Is A Habit Not A Habit?

This says something I've been trying to put into words ever since I started No-S. This way of eating and thinking about food becomes habit only when you do it without thinking about it.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi GermanHerman,

As a general rule I'd say I agree with you. Moderation is the key to a long and happy life for a myriad of reasons. The issue I came across with sugar is that the only way to get to the "moderate" position was to first eliminate anything with added sugar then I was able to add back what I believe to be moderate amounts.

In the SAD (as you call it :) We have sugar added to virtually everything we buy. No, I'm not exaggerating. Bread, pickles, canned tomato products of any kind, luncheon meats, salads, crackers, yogurt they all have sugar added and lots of it. The result is that we didn't really taste anything except the sugar and it affected our relationship with food in general. My experience was to first eliminate sugar not naturally found in food. (a daunting and time consuming project) Amazingly, my entire family started enjoying their food more. I always cooked from scratch so I didn't have to learn any new cooking habits. I just had to adjust the products I brought into the home.

I confess to having been somewhat conflicted about what to do about those occasions when sweets just seem appropriate; e.g. birthdays, holidays etc. then low and behold. . . along came No-S with the perfectly reasonable position of moderate consumption. No -S really just reaffirmed conclusions that I had already reached haphazardly on my own

So, now we follow a mostly sugar free diet but we do enjoy our holiday treats. We don't really like them as much as we used to though and will often not even eat all of what we have. For example, I ended up tossing out 1/2 of my daughters birthday cake 3 days after her party.

Now, If I can just reach this same point with salty snacks :wink:

Redrockin

Post by Redrockin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:34 pm

I just finished Schaub's book, A Year of No Sugar, and even though I'd never go to the extent she did, it was quite eye-opening to see the food products sugar is added to, for no apparent reason. I mean, broth! Why?

The last couple of years, I have become aware that I need to stop reading diet books and start reading about how to change habits. So some months ago, I read The Power of Habit, all about anchoring a new habit to a trigger. That article When is a Habit not a Habit really brought it all back to me. Thanks for the articles, wosnos. I need to figure out a way to anchor exercise to something.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:25 pm

Now that you mention it, the term "clean eating" does bug me... :roll: It insinuates some moral superiority.

I feel bad for the milk, bread and eggs that get a bad rap! It makes me sad that these foods were "good enough" and nutritious enough for our parents but not good enough or nutritious enough for us. The irony is that we (society) are all trying to eat "simpler" and "cleaner" yet we cut out these basic foods.

I have long ago figured out that it is not the "what" that makes us fat but the "how much."

Despite this knowledge, I'm still trying to get to the level where I don't view sugar as a drug. I wonder if deep down I eat more sweets because society has told me sugar is a drug and if I can't stop, it's not my fault? There is a conscious guilt that comes with eating sweets, which might be backfiring into making us want to eat more of it.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:29 pm

gingerpie wrote:In the SAD (as you call it :) We have sugar added to virtually everything we buy. No, I'm not exaggerating. Bread, pickles, canned tomato products of any kind, luncheon meats, salads, crackers, yogurt they all have sugar added and lots of it.
I think for those of us living outside the USA, it can be hard to understand just how much sugar is in everything. My friend has just moved from Australia to the US and she can't believe how sweet the bread is. Australian bread (at least what she and I normally eat) has, if anything, a touch of salt added. Sweet bread (not intended as afternoon tea cake) is just strange, but she's expected to use it to make ham and cheese sandwiches? Apparently to get what we would consider "normal" bread, she's going to more expensive health food stores.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:28 am

Wosnes thank you for this thread. The articles are great and really helped me think through some issues I am struggling with. It is getting so hard to know how we should all eat. Yet most of us are in the greatly privileged position of living much longer and healthier lives than our predecessors.
I have now become very suspicious of health claims. Super foods, denial diets. I am struggling with noS because I am no longer simply engaged with my eating. I am bound up in trying to eat what is 'right'' especially as I am chronically unwell and for those of us with bad health issues the prevailing trend is that we have brought our illnesses upon ourselves, we have chronic fatigue, cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes etc because we do not eat properly. This is so problematic, simplistic and offensive. Yet everyday people are made to feel inadequate and unworthy when they should be supported and sustained. Life is complex but eating at an individual level should not be. The world is sadly full of people who would be so very grateful for the opportunity to eat eggs, gluten, dairy, meat etc......
We must not lose sight of our privilege, but also that it is the same profit driven big business that adds unnecessary sugar and fat to everything (especially diet foods and ' health bars) as promotes so called 'super foods' and faddy so called health diets.
This has reminded me of how strong noS is as a daily practice all is catered for. Sugar is put in its place, as a treat or as part
Of a celebration. Snacks are unnecessary as meals are in their place, adequate and enriching. I really feel much stronger after reading this thread, thank you.
On a final note. Because of severe food allergies ( life threatening ) I make almost all my own food from scratch, my bread is wholesome and delicious, but I would never dream of adding sugar to it ( unless it was an S day and I was making a lovely fruit bread or iced buns:-) people have been eating bread for centuries. Gluten free flour mixes are so often full of rubbish additives.
Anyway, enough rambling from me, but boy do I feel committed to noS at this moment. I realise it is what I long for, sensible eating with some treats to share at weekends. Sorted :) now to get on with the rest of life :)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:35 am

I always want to drive a railroad spike through my foot when I hear, or read, someone changing a recipe so it can be a "healthy" alternative. "Super food" is just an asinine term. If I had known the Europeans had dropped it, I would have become an ex-patriot years ago. And, in closing, Dr. Oz should be banned.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:45 am

leafy_greens wrote:Now that you mention it, the term "clean eating" does bug me... :roll: It insinuates some moral superiority.
And that is what people do, they take a "moral" high ground via their diet. I hear occasionally people pronounce their veganism or low carbism. "I am on theeeeee Paleeeeeo Diet." Who cares. I had two Twinkies on S day. In the States at least, we want to pronounce our superiority through our eating habits, exercise program (Remember The Horse Whisperer? I am a runner, not a jogger....), if you use free weights or exercise machines. l don't smoke, but if you do by gosh - you rank up there with Bundy and Manson.

We are becoming boorish.
Last edited by Over43 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:30 am

Over43, I totally agree with you, but I think you mean boorish, but I consider it a Freudian slip, because of how "boring" it is to write off someone because they have a visible habit we don't like. I'd take those bad habits in my friends anyday over the scary hidden one that everyone is shocked when they hear about!!! LOL, I really don't mean this post to be taken too seriously....
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:22 am

Thank you, I did mean boorish, and promptly misspelled it. I appreciate the heads up.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:57 am

Over43 wrote:I always want to drive a railroad spike through my foot when I hear, or read, someone changing a recipe so it can be a "healthy" alternative. "Super food" is just an asinine term. If I had known the Europeans had dropped it, I would have become an ex-patriot years ago. And, in closing, Dr. Oz should be banned.
Speaking of "clean" and "healthy," I'm sick of kale showing up in everything. I'm also tired of "healthy" treats.

Within the last year Dr. Oz had a guest who had lost a significant amount of weight. Part of the weight loss plan was eating only three meals daily. Oz expressed concern that one could get enough nutrients by limiting food consumption to three daily meals. Bah!!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:40 pm

My hypothesis is that Dr. Oz and all food corporations are trying to make money off of the public. If they are successful in getting you to watch/listen to him or buy their products then they have achieved their goal.

Everyone else is just trying to make the best decisions they can given imperfect information and limited resources . . . Just like I am.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:03 pm

Truth be told, I ate more vegetables 13 years ago, on the Atkins plan than I ever had previously. Four cups a day, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes (a fruit), avocado, etc. It doesn't mean it was the best thing for me, but I get a kick how people claim Atkins is this or that, when they are wrong.

I also get a kick out of low carbers having a fit thinking they have defiled the temple with a Hershey bar.

Dr. Oz is worried about nutrients so he can sell a daily vitamin. I can only imagine most of us in the States, eating a balanced diet, get the nutrients they need, and then some.

I forgot about this, I was at work yesterday when a coworker stated he'd gone to a BBQ last evening. He then stated he'd gone the healthy route, he had devoured his cheese burger sans bun. I did not say word.

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Over43 wrote: I also get a kick out of low carbers having a fit thinking they have defiled the temple with a Hershey bar.
I try not to comment too much about low-carb, slow-carb or blow-carb in all their forms (Paleo, 4-Hour-Body, Atkins etc.)

The last diet-fad i felt for was paleo, together with it's ugly sibling crossfit.

For various reasons i really hate both concepts and value both as fads.

But i don't like being too negativ, that is why i tend to smile and nod whenever someone makes them a topic. Everybody can and should make their own experiences and if they enjoy these things: More power for them!

A lot of people define themself by their diet or their exercise. Well if that's the way it is: I'm moderation! That may be mediocre but it is doable for the rest of my life.

You can give an "superior" effort every day and burn out at some point (binging on bad food/ burn out or injury at training/ overextending your finances/ get an overload at work etc) or you can constantly repeat an mediocre effort and be surprised by the results.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:11 am

German, you are spot on.

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:35 am

Overweight people might enjoy food less. Thought that was interesting:

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/09/ob ... -less.html

Small study but makes sense to me as I enjoy food less on S days than on N days :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:06 pm

I have really enjoyed this discussion! Lately, I seem to be really shifting in my thoughts about eating. For a 2 or 3 year period, I restricted a lot of foods: dairy, citrus, gluten/grains, and meat, to an extent. Part of it was for health reasons, but part of it was to lose weight. I spent about a year following Paleo, and while I did lose some weight, and I felt better to an extent, I didn't have a lot of joy in my eating. Also, i would regularly rebel, and binge on the forbidden foods. Over the past few months, I have resumed eating some of my 'forbidden' foods (like bread and grains), and I am definitely happier. I still have some foods I'll have to limit, because of sensitivities (dairy and citrus), but I am now trying to be much more moderate and balanced in my food choices.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Sounds like a great plan clarinetgal!
Maintenance is progress.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks, r.jean! :D

Jibaholic

Post by Jibaholic » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm a big fan of obesity researcher Steven Guynet. He started out as a Gary Taubes type - he favored a low-carb/paleo diet. But he turned into a leading advocate for the food reward theory of obesity - that we overeat because of how food interacts with our brain.
It all started with one little sentence buried in a paper about obese rats. I was reading about how rats become obese when they're given chocolate Ensure, the "meal replacement drink", when I came across this:

...neither [obesity-prone] nor [obesity-resistant] rats will overeat on either vanilla- or strawberry-flavored Ensure.

The only meaningful difference between chocolate, vanilla and strawberry Ensure is the flavor, yet rats eating the chocolate variety overate, rapidly gained fat and became metabolically ill, while rats eating the other flavors didn't (1). Furthermore, the study suggested that the food's flavor determined, in part, what amount of fatness the rats' bodies "defended."
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... is-of.html

Here's the lead-in to another good post:
During the 1940s and 50s, an Austrian psychologist named Konrad Lorenz studied the behavioral patterns of geese.

One of the things he observed was the egg-retrieving behavior of the greylag goose. When an egg rolls out of a goose's nest, it gently uses its bill to roll it back in. However, when Lorenz took an egg from the nest and placed it next to a larger round white object, the goose preferentially rolled the larger object back into its nest while ignoring the real egg. He called this larger object a superstimulus. It was an abnormally strong stimulus that was able to hijack the bird's normal behavioral pattern in a maladaptive way.

Our brains are wired to respond to the stimuli with which they evolved. For example, our natural taste preferences tell us that fruit is good. But what happens when we concentrate that sugar tenfold? We get a superstimulus. Our brains are not designed to process that amount of stimulation constructively, and it often leads to a loss of control over the will, or addiction.
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... imuli.html

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:13 am

I'm always interested in new articles so thanks for these - looking forward to giving them a go.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:58 am

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:15 am

That was a great article!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:09 am

Great article and in fact, great site. I'm looking around it a bit more.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:07 pm

Agreed - that site is great, too!

noni

Post by noni » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Good article, wosnes! I remember reading from a book Linda Moran wrote about weighing yourself: When you weigh, vary the time, days, clothes etc...to avoid obsessing over scale weight.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:10 pm

This is a good article. I can relate to a lot of the feelings she describes. Also, In the past, I always avoided the scale when I knew it would show a gain. I now weigh in regularly each week at the same time and record it, no matter what! I do see the scale more as a gauge now or as a data point as the author calls it. The scale is essential to me now as a tool, not as my enemy.
Maintenance is progress.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:19 pm

This article is from the same women about kicking the late-night snacking habit. I've seen that a lot of people struggle with this one at the moment - wosnes thanks
http://summertomato.com/breaking-bad-ho ... ing-habit/
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Eat Your Medicine by Michael Ruhlman.