Easy, then hard!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lyra

Easy, then hard!

Post by Lyra » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:54 pm

I just got back from a course. There were a lot of S's around, and two different snack times during the day. But I have to say, I was amazed by how well I could stick to three meals. I was never hungry, perfectly content.

BUT, now that I'm home I feel hungry all the time. Getting to the next meal, to the next S day is such a struggle. Has anyone else had this kind of experience? Tips and tricks for making it through the tough times?

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Yes! I too find that when willpower is finite, and that when you expend it in one realm, it often is missing later on. There are actually some good scientific studies about this--that willpower can get depleted in the same way as energy stores. I think we have to find ways to take care of ourselves that don't involve food if we have had to be super disciplined. a warm bath, a special movie or book, a massage--time with a friend--making sure that your meals are something to really really look forward to is helpful--

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:25 pm

I think the best thing is.to remind yourself that hunger is not an emergency and that you'll be eating again soon. You can drink milk between meals.if you need to have something.

I'm probably jinxing myself because this hasn't happened for a while, but I occasionally have days when no matter what or how much I eat, I'm still hungry. I have no idea why this happens.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Lyra

Post by Lyra » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:54 pm

Marianna, you may be right. It also might be the difference between being really busy and jazzed by what I was learning and being home with the kids, doing the normal day-to-day stuff. There's just more time to overthink, to crave, to cave.

Worsens, I know what you mean-- I have about two days a month of anabatabe hunger. Unfortunately, this hunger is mostly psychological :(

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:59 am

Lyra wrote:It also might be the difference between being really busy and jazzed by what I was learning and being home with the kids, doing the normal day-to-day stuff. There's just more time to overthink, to crave, to cave.
Perhaps re-frame this as an opportunity? Getting through a tricky patch, especially in your normal environment, is the best kind of habit formation. Every time you avoid a snack or sweet that you would normally have, you are re-setting your idea of normal. Passing over a treat when it is hard, instead of when it is easy, is building your will, just like lifting a weight builds a muscle.

For me, forming good habits for your normal routine (standard days at home with the kids or at your usual workplace) is the cornerstone of No S. Doing well on vacation, special occasions or while travelling for work are the icing on the cake (excuse the S reference!), but the heart of the matter is what you do the other 95% of the time.

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:12 pm

wosnes wrote: I'm probably jinxing myself because this hasn't happened for a while, but I occasionally have days when no matter what or how much I eat, I'm still hungry. I have no idea why this happens.
I think it is called being a woman. I don't think I know anyone that doesn't have days like this, although I found that eating three meals a day that include fat and protein, decreased these days frequency.
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones