Perfection is the Enemy of Progress

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:08 am

Dr. Skull is talking about exercise but the advice is equally as relevant when applied to diet - or just about anything else:

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:48 am

I was thinking something like this regarding running. I trained to run 1 Mile with my daughter in the spring but I have plantar fasciitis so I ended up with a very painfull foot. I did make the mile though and learned I like to run. So, I had the thought that if I incorporate 1 minute of running into the middle of my daily walks 3 times a week. I will be running 52 minutes by next summer. It seems like a perfectly attainable goal for a 52 year old.

I'm up to 3 minutes as of today and so far no plantar fasciitis
pain.

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:11 am

We all tend to see "perfection" as a goal, but we don't seem capable to see it as the endpoint of a progression.

We want to start the perfect diet, doing it perfect and have perfect results!
We want to do the perfect exercise in the perfect amount to reach the perfect fitness.

We forget, that there is a developement, from bad to better to good to very good to something close to perfect.

But for some reason we believe we should start at the destination point or don't try it at all. Instant results, instant gratification!

That's the reason, why some people always stay at "bad", because they don't see the way over the small changes, the tiny improvements.

Constant moderate effort will carry you much further over time than short burst of exessiv acting ever could.

As our capabilities grow through moderate effort so does the amount of something we call moderate.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature