Exercise and especially running / Fridays?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lglblonde

Exercise and especially running / Fridays?

Post by lglblonde » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:56 pm

I'd like to maintain no more than 1500 calories a day while doing No S.
3 meals totaling 500 calories each.

However, I'm training for a half. So I'm burning 400 calories x 2 a week and then once a week long run - burning 1000 calories or so. THough the long run comes on the S Days mostly...

Also, is it okay to trade off your S day? LIke we are going out of town this weekend. Can I take S days on Friday & Saturday and then bakc on track for Sunday?

THoughts?

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:56 am

Hi, welcome on board!

I‘m a runner myself and a longtime No S’er.

First, regarding the “trade ofâ€, or changing the time of an S-Day. Generally it is no problem to take an S-Day on an N-Day and make a regular S-Day an N-Day.

But from the point of habit-building it’s much harder and takes longer to form a habit without strict rules. So, if for some reasons the Friday is a better S-day for you than the Sunday, by all means do it. But do it every week! Don’t change the S-Days around on weekly basis. You should create a “fixed†environment to build you habits.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:33 am

Hi,

I agree with Germanherman. You can,and should, make the s days fit your schedule but it has to be consistent.

I'm not sure your 500 calorie per meal goal will be realistic as you get closer to your running goal. If you find yourself ravenous and grouchy, you may have to increase your fuel intake but you can decide that as you go along as long you sick within the no s framework.

Good luck with the training. It's a great goal. Do you have a particular race in mind?

Ginger

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:50 am

Hi, lglblonde, and Welcome!
In my opinion, a clear, deliberate trading of an S day and an N day some weeks is OK. I have done that some and it works for me a whole lot better than having floating S days (that was a disaster). I think a trade is still clear and obvious and if you get into trouble with trading, you'll notice right away.
But there may be more wisdom in what germanherman says, and he has certainly done better in the weight loss department than I have, so you'll have to make the call and see how it goes.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:54 am

I run as well and while training for a half last fall, there is no way I would have maintained my running regimen at 1500 calories a day. I agree with Gingerpie on monitoring yourself and increasing if you need to as you train harder.

Of course I have no idea of your size or age or other factors so maybe 1500 is fine for you.

Good luck with the half. Is this your first or one of many?
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:41 pm

I've trained for half and full marathons, but didn't calorie count at that time so can't comment on that side of things.

No S is all about moderation, and perhaps marathon training is not particularly moderate. However, I can say I made it work. For mid-week runs I timed my run to have a meal straight afterwards. I used to make my long run an S "event", so that the recovery meal afterwards could be an extra meal if I needed it. Mostly my long runs were on S days anyway, because it's hard for me to fit in the hours during the week. Half marathons are a bit different, but for full marathon training I used to eat or drink some sugars once I got over 90 minutes into the run.

Good luck! Is this your first half?

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:51 pm

1500 calories seems very low if you are training for a marathon. Back in the day when I counted calories, I lost weight on that and I was only moderately active.

Personally, I would not count the calories while in training. If you are going to expend mental energy on monitoring food intake, I would expend it on making sure it was "real" (i.e. not heavily processed), nutritious and a good balance of fat, protein and complex carbs.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:18 pm

Do yourself a favor and google TDEE calculator and fill out it gives you the total amount of calories you need to maintain your weight at your activity level. If you want to lose subtract 20% from that. I am middle aged and lightly active and I need 2100 calories just to maintain. I would lose weight at 1800 calories. Honestly, don't starve yourself. And your training g will not go well if you do.
If you don't believe me read through the forums of my fitness pal. It has lots of very useful information. They just aren't as nice over there lol.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy