Day 2

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ammara

Day 2

Post by ammara » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Have just started the no s diet. Have been dieting for years. Had some success with ww but was never able to maintain. For the last 2 years the weight crept back on and however much I tried ww again or counting calories, I just couldn't stick with it. Failed so many times.... Became very demoralised.

Had decided 3 meals is the way to go but wasn't really succeeding. And then I came across the no s diet. Was really inspired by the website and bought the book and decided to start.

As I was trying 3 meals anyway I am not struggling with no snacks. I am used to having sweet stuff at least once a day and often more than once. I usually have more than a plate but didn't think I had too much - but I didn't get this way because I eat the right portion size. I realise now that I haven't really a clue about how much I should eat.

My concerns at the moment are the size of my plate. Have no idea if I am getting it right. Also what if I go mad on the weekend. Am worried about this first weekend and 'messing up '.

Is it really possible this could work. I am terrified I will fail again.

Sorry about the long post

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:34 am

Hi, welcome on board!

This diet can work (personal experience), but it is a slow and constant process. At the same time, it is highly doable.

The fear of failing is one of the two main reasons you can actually fail (the other is the expectation of perfection).

We all fail! I don’t know anybody on this diet who doesn’t “fail†on some days. It’s normal. Even Reinhard as “founder†fails, even after years with this way of eating. The important thing to remember is: This is a long journey (in the best cases lifelong), therefore the single day, the small amount of failures don’t really matter.

If you follow the No S Diet, and you can follow the rules most of the time, you will lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. There are many people who are doing it right now, and there were generations worldwide who did it before.

Regarding the plate-size. Take normal sized plates (like the ones in dinner-sets). Don’t use big plates (in Europe: Pizza-plates). Don't get obssesed on the physical plate. Take one "normal" portion at each meal.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

ammara

Post by ammara » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I am a bit of a perfectionist. Not that I am perfect in any way. Am just in the habit of beating myself up for any mistake. Got to get over the all or nothing mentality.

Every diet I have ever started seemed so reasonable at the beginning. When I read a new book they always sell it so well. I suppose once they have made their money they have achieved their aim. Whether it works for other people or not doesn't matter to them. They put the real effort into convincing you their's is the right way.

Having been convinced so many times and not succeeded makes me wary of trusting my judgement.

This does feel doable though. As if I could do this for ever - unlike other diets. It is also so helpful to see how 'human' other people are-even the old timers mess up some days. I suppose the difference is not giving up.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:08 am

Three things from me:
1) You can't fail on S-days. Everything's permitted, even the wildest food spree.
2) NoS requires patience. Trust the process. Don't rush. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and one day you look back and see you've climbed a mountain.
3) Keep your mind off your palate, in other words: keep yourself engaged and pleasantly busy in order to silence your diet head. Listening to you diet head leads to premature optimization, and then to failure.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:55 am

Hi, ammara, and Welcome!
I'd say start with your normal dinner plates and don't stack the food, don't fill the rim. My normal plates are from Germany and are 9" all the way across and just less than 7" across the portion that holds food. Unless yours are huge they should be fine.
Try to enjoy the weekend and make it a priority to eat food you really enjoy in amounts that make you feel content and good, not overstuffed and draggy. For most people, I think this will lead to gradual weight loss. If after 6 months it doesn't for you, you might think about smaller plates and a few guidelines for S days.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:05 am

The size of the plate does not matter as far as I am concerned. It is the types of food you put on the plate. The more vegetables I eat, the bigger plate I need. If I have 3 slices of pizza, it will fit on a large plate. If I have one slice and a mixed green salad, it fills the same plate.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Be gentle with yourself. No S is unique in that it really is for life, both in the chronological sense that it is something you can do no matter how many years you have left on this planet AND the more poetic sense in that it gives your life back.

With No S there are no foods to include or exclude (except sweets and not even all time time) or meticulous counting. You just eat and then you are done with it till it's time to eat again.

Don't worry about weight loss yet. Concentrate on getting the habits down. Tell yourself that you are in "maintenance". And then go live your life.

ammara

Post by ammara » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:34 pm

Thank you for all your advice. Will do my best not to worry about weight lost whilst I am getting the habits down.