S days make me feel so out of control

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sage

S days make me feel so out of control

Post by sage » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi! I am fairly new. For the first time in ten years I feel at peace with food. That is HUGE!! On S days, even though I don't overdo it, I feel really crappy, out of control, I don't enjoy food as much and I get a little depressed. I am thinking of having sweets with meals a few times on S days, but I may have to cut snacking all together. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thank you!
Sarah :)

Redrockin

Post by Redrockin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:25 pm

Snacking is my slippery slope. I have a hard time not turning a snacking episode into a binge episode. I am trying to take the advice of people on this forum -- to first stablize the No-S days and then worry about the S days, but I am also struggling with this issue! Adding that sweet/snacky food to a meal instead of eating it alone seems like a good bet.

sage

Post by sage » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:36 pm

I am glad that I am not the only one experiencing this, but I am sorry that you are struggling as well. Yes, I think I'll have to cut out the snacks all together for now. Thank you!
Sarah :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:08 pm

For different reasons I stopped snacking except for emergencies (a meal will be delayed for several hours). Sweet or snack type foods are included with meals and not necessarily just on S days. The only food I've had trouble incorporating into a meal is popcorn.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:33 am

Hi, snacking is why I'm here. :roll: no worries, if you feel bad after S day snacking, you are in your way to giving it up. Sometimes I feel sorry for myself because I can't snack the way I used to and I refuse to eat "snack food" with a meal because I don't want to inadvertently teach my kids that snack food=real food. Sometimes I also feel bad because "other people" get to eat whatever they want but I can't. The negative feelings pass through and then I feel grateful that I have enough money to buy and eat all the non-snack food that I want.

You are making big changes in your eating habits. It is bound to bring up some sadness. Be nice to yourself and treat yourself kindly. The way you would treat sometime else who was sad.

I'm sure you will find your way.

noni

Post by noni » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:59 pm

After two years of "anything goes" weekends, I'm in the process of No Snacking on S days. I'll be having sweets with my meals, or instead of, such as a cinnamon bun for breakfast. Snacking just makes me want to snack more. Even a piece of fruit can get me started.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:04 pm

sage, I have been feeling the same way, and I got great advice through the boards. Ironchef suggested the S Days gone wild podcast (episode 34), which is great! I read through the transcript, and this is what I am going to focus on:

As Reinhard recommends, I'm going to keep my S Days free, but really try to think through my treats (snacks or sweets - I rarely have seconds) to ensure I'll enjoy them, and focus on not furtively eating. It's a treat, I deserve it. Just knowing that it isn't (shouldn't be, anyways) a free-for-all makes me less stressed.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:34 am

While I didn't have an ingrained snacking habit when I first started NoS, I took full advantage of Seconds, Sweets, and Snacks every weekend, eating whenever one of the family did, particularly joining my husband for a "little something" to go with our coffee all day long.

But then it dawned on me that I really didn't like having snacks, as it ruined my appetite for a good meal. (Surprise!)

So, I learned to ask (not that I always listen to my own answer!) what will really make me feel good and satisfied? By doing just that, S days stopped being a free-for-all because huge portions, lots of sweets, and in-between meals snacks generally weren't the answer. Good food, a special treat, eating in a leisurely manner, etc., generally were!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!