Would this count as a sweet?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruamgirl

Would this count as a sweet?

Post by Ruamgirl » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 am

Okay, so I just started a new job working children at an after school program, and they're constantly coughing and sneezing, so I've started sucking on Hall's Defense candies which are super high in vitamin C and help ward off cold and viruses. But they are sweet just like a regular candy. There is a sugar free version available, but aspartame sometimes gives me headaches. So my question is, would this count as a sweet or no?
So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. -- Christopher Reeve

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:05 am

I'm a bad one to ask. I'm very strict with sweets. :) How much do you eat? I'd say, if it it's one or two don't worry about it. If it is all day and has the sugar equvilent of a candy bar, count it. If you are umcertain, can u just switch it out for vvitamin c tablets? All the "c" none of the sugar.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:58 pm

I think you are better off washing your hands regularly as well as staying nourished, rested and hydrated.

If you do feel the need for an additional vitamin punch, take Vitamin C tablets or the Airborne stuff.

Constantly sucking on sweets is bad for your teeth. Oral health is an important part of overall health too.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:03 am

I used to love those Vit C tablets that came in the plastic orange. They tasted like candy. :lol: However, I think you are fine with it. But, as posted above, washing your hands regularly might be the best defense.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:28 am

So two things: a) for me they would count as candy as for me it's all about getting out of the habit to having the sweet taste daily.
b) as you're only going to use them for a little bit and for a good health reason by all means take them!

NoS is supposed to be sensible. And I drank diet coke throughout the first 1 1/2 years of NoS and that definitely tasted sweet.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:36 am

I agree about the hand washing and in addition I would suggest keeping your hands away from your face.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:10 am

I make an exception for medicine that tastes sweet and this might be considered such.

But you might feel "cleaner" if you got your vitamin c in less candy-like form (it is possible!).

Either way, this is a classic borderline substance that you shouldn't fret over too much.

Reinhard