NoS and forget the rest

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

emj383

NoS and forget the rest

Post by emj383 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:25 am

I've noticed that over the past year or so, I've been overcomplicating things and striving too much to find the perfect 'plan' within the NoS framework. It takes away mental energy that would be better spent on other things, plus playing too much with the plan results in more failures and just giving up (temporarily), at least for me.

These days it feels like there is such information overload when it comes to diet! I know others on this board have mentioned that Dr. Oz is not exactly helpful, for example. I find all this information can trigger my perfectionism which eventually makes me crack and stray from the NoS rules.

I need to focus on what works for me and for the most part, tune out the rest. When friends or family go on about diet and nutrition information, I listen politely and don't bring up what I'm doing. If someone asks, I just say that I tend to focus on meals versus snacks and save sweets for weekends/special events. It's so 'normal,' so there's not much to debate about that I find. I feel my best when doing overall Vanilla NoS and that's why I come back to it. As many posters have said, it's the most sane plan out there. Reinhard is the best!
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:14 pm

I have found, a) don't watch the not so good Mehmet Oz (love the name though), and b) try to stay away from other eating plans. I have been looking at FODMAP Diet strategies, but because of stomach discomfort, as opposed to a "better" weight loss strategy. Cutting out fresh non-citrus fruits, and eating more rice seems to correct the issue pretty well.

As I posted some time ago, Barry Schwartz's "Paradox of Choice" really plays into dieting. There are just to many options. He gives the example of jeans. He writes that he wants to by a pair of 501's, and the saleman shows him innumerable pairs before they finally make it to Levis. And as he states, he just wants the 501 blues.

Another problem is the contradictory information the mainstream press presents daily. Superfoods (which I think are horse manure, the idea, not actual horse...you get it), diametrically opposed research, research that is just plain bogus, etc. We get pummeled with an artillery attack of information. It applies to fitness/exercise as well.

Oh, and Reinhard, has Dr. Oz, or The Doctors ever sent you an invite?
Last edited by Over43 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

emj383

Post by emj383 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:27 pm

I completely agree! I've told myself to stay away from other plans, too. It's just a matter of learning the hard way sometimes. I doubt shows like that would invite Reinhard since the plan is not flashy or exciting to the majority of our culture, sadly. The plan is the best out there if you ask me. People would rather blame gluten, dairy, sugar, etc. than just be more moderate. Of course if you have a food allergy it's one thing...

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:18 pm

We have a show over here called "The Checkout" and they did this clip on "superfoods".

earl7z

Post by earl7z » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:47 am

ironchef wrote:We have a show over here called "The Checkout" and they did this clip on "superfoods".
I love it! Now watching the episode called "Gluten for Punishment" :-) This is hilarious (zombies moaning "Grains, grains.") and yet very informative.
All you can do is all you can do.

Food doesn't make you fat. Too much food makes you fat.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Very nice link.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

emj383

Post by emj383 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:44 pm

These links are great! Thanks for sharing.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:13 pm

I, too, am about at that point. I have investigated a number of diet plans over the years, and I keep coming back to No S. While I have modified it a little bit to fit my needs (for example, I'll sometimes do 4 meals because of reflux, and I'm still working on the No Sweets rule), I am at the point where I am done with restricting foods, except for the ones that bother my stomach (like dairy and citrus). It really is all about moderation.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:38 pm

ironchef wrote:We have a show over here called "The Checkout" and they did this clip on "superfoods".
This was very good. The best line was towards the end, "There's no such thing as a superfood, just super marketing."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am

Glad people enjoyed the clip, I really like their style - a bit silly, but still insightful. Plus they inspired me to go and eat an apple ;)

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:39 pm

The Superfood video is hilarious:) it reminds me if a similar video I once saw (that I can't find now) "I can't afford my dietary restrictions". Talking about how everyone has some kind of intolorence now, gluten, sugar, ect. Granted some people do have these things, but for example true Gluten intolerance is pretty rare and people that have it have to treat it like a peanut allergy, they get really sick! But if everybody thinks they have a gluten intorence they make lots of money pushing their expensive "Gluten free" products.

I also have to avoid all the diet sites or I start second guessing no s. I get that "diet head" mentality. It's like an addiction, I just need to stay away.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:40 pm

Ironchef, I ended up watching a bunch of links from Checkout. Love them!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Love this thread & agree with everything stated. Sometimes I think nos people are the only sane ones (at least in regard in to food :D ).

So glad to have found like-minded peeps! 8)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:00 pm

"Gluten for punishment" and "I can't afford my dietary restrictions." Just those two laughs were worth reading this thread, though there's plenty to delight in here.

I think sometimes we in rich countries feel almost an obligation to find the healthiest diet. If we can't, who can? I think we'd better serve the world by having access to food while modeling eating the healthy-enough diet. France, Italy, and Japan (shows how varied the foodstuffs can be when the meal habit is rather consistent) are beating the pants off us in that competition, though I think they are all falling prey to our present model more than we are falling prey to theirs.

Long life and health depend on more than what we eat or don't eat, though moderate eating and movement are cornerstones. Those two don't take all day. It's up to us to fill in the rest, and No S gives ample time to do it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)