Hi Everyone

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

april1127

Hi Everyone

Post by april1127 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi

I have been trying the No S Diet on my own for awhile now with no success. I think I have tried about 20 times. So I thought I would try again with the support from all of you. The program makes complete sense to me logically its just doing it and moving past feeling deprived that is hard. My brain thinks I am going to die if I restrict what I eat which is silly. It makes my brain feel fuzzy. When I can get past those feeling and move forward I know I could do this and be successful even writing about it makes me feel uncomfortable.

A little about me: I am a stay at home mom and I home school my 13 year old son. I am going to college part time to finish my degree and I am married to the love of my life. I weigh 231 pounds and I am 5 feet 5 inches tall.
Last edited by april1127 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jibaholic

Post by Jibaholic » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi April! Welcome aboard!

I've been trying and failing to get started with No S as well. Many people have. It's like quitting smoking. There's plenty of ex-smokers who quit thousands of time before they finally quit for good. So don't be discouraged!

If you haven't already, try and start a journal on the Daily Check-In forum. That's a great source of accountability.

Also, sometimes it helps to have something to get you extra-excited, like training for a 5k or starting shovelglove. Then it's a lot easier to see how your diet fits into the big picture of your overall lifestyle. So that may be an added source of motivation.

Amy C.

Re: Hi Everyone

Post by Amy C. » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:09 pm

I would work on investigating the reasons for feeling deprived - I did and they helped.

Have you purchased the No S Diet book? There are convincing arguments there.

Have you looked into other approaches to use with the No S diet?

I found Michelle May's book "Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle" helpful to convince myself that I can be in charge of what I eat.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Welcome! The more you focus on making something delicious within the bounds of NoS and focus on enjoying the easier it is. I learnt how to cook and now make enjoyable (for me) N day meals. It makes all the difference. It's days where I don't enjoy my food where I feel deprived.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

abelincoln

Post by abelincoln » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:04 pm

for me the hardest part is the weight comes off slowly but it's also the slowness that makes it tolerable you can lose weight on a fast weight loss program but it will feel messed up I guess if you really want to know whether you like NO S or not try one of those fast weight loss programs. actually that's what I did and I feel much better now being back on NO S

I personally do shovel glove I compiled reinhards videos into an exercise video but if you don't want to do the hammer thing urban Ranger works great like he says it's just as good as for the soul as it is for the body. I still haven't approached the time spent that he mentions doing but I do spend at least 10 minutes a day everyday no matter what walking in my neighborhood

it's my feeling that it may be harder for women or people who don't have as much bulk of muscle to burn as much as they need to but that's why you try it for a week and adjust it based on what happens

Reinhard does a better job of explaining this than I do so I would like to point out page 134 of his book there's a good description that fits better than what I am telling you

he also makes a good quote "remember that for most of us maintenance is progress ,the status quo was gaining weight"
Last edited by abelincoln on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

april1127

Post by april1127 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Thank you for all the encouraging replies. So far today has been great. :D

Amy C.

Post by Amy C. » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:31 pm

april1127 wrote:Thank you for all the encouraging replies. So far today has been great. :D
Woohoo! One day at a time.

I now have the mindset - I am in charge of what I eat. Not, I control what I eat, but in charge. I get to decide what goes on the plate and into my mouth.

I love to eat. I thoroughly enjoy good food and, as the saying goes, hunger is the best sauce. I notice that the meals I enjoy the most are those started with a tad bit of hunger. Then I stop before I get too full, because I dislike that feeling of an overstuffed stomach as well.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:12 pm

One thing that helped me when I started nearly 5 years ago was seeing that all the other options had not taught me to be satisfied with less permanently. When you think this is your best option for the long run, rather than just something you're trying out, it helps. I also saw that in the past, when I had been "successful," it was really just the honeymoon phase. As soon as urges to eat came back, I was cooked. This helped me say no during tough hours between meals.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)