In Praise of Meatloaf

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hunter Gatherer

In Praise of Meatloaf

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:57 pm

Okay, so originally I posted this in my check-in, but I like listening to myself talk(watching myself write?), so here it is again.

I like meatloaf. You can do so many different things with it just by swaping out some of the basic ingredients.

Eggs, Meat, starchy something, spices. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Almost sounds boring. But if you use corn chips or corn tortillas instead of breadcrumbs and hot sauce as one of your flavoring tools you have something different. Last night I used raisin bran as my starch, cut up some dried apricots, and added cracked red pepper to get a fruity hot meatloaf. Sure it's meatloaf, but it's different and really good.

Think of all the things you can use: rice, oatmeal, tortillas, chips, breadcrumbs (how many different types of bread are there? how many types of breadcrumbs?), popcorn, cereal, croutons (okay so maybe that's a bread crumb). And you can throw anything in with the spices. Chopped fruit, hard boiled egg, nuts, veggies, hot sauce, cheese, seasonings and sauces (there are so many seasonings and sauces available! Creole, Italian, Mexican, Korean, Indian, etc.).

Ah, the unlimited possibilities of meatloaf.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:53 am

You could even mix in some hash and make hash meatloaf!
LOL...

:wink: Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:45 am

I have made a "chili" meatloaf by mixing in a can of chili with the meat, and corn tortilla chips instead of crackers..toward the end of the cooking time i put some salsa on top and cook for about another ten minutes...yummy!

I love meatloaf! :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

cab54

Post by cab54 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:17 pm

I LOVE meatloaf. No one else in my household does. I sometimes order it when we go out (rare) and hubby thinks I'm nuts to get MEATLOAF at a restaurant. :lol: If I could get my mom's I would, but no sense in making even my mom's recipe at home.

Comfort food at it's best.
Cheryl

Starting weight--200 (gah!)
Currently--185
Goal weight--135, or wherever I end up

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:29 pm

You could always cook it and then slice it and freeze the slices, that way you would have individual portions and not have to worry about no one eating it and having it go to waste...just an idea! :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

cab54

Post by cab54 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:55 pm

tricia---DUH! Why didn't I think of that? :oops: And if I made a lot, I can always take some to my aging father, for whom I cook occasionally and take food over. He would eat it!

Hubby was on of 5 boys with a mom who hated cooking, so almost every meal was some form of ground beef concoction. :lol: He can't take anything almost made of ground beef. Chili and spaghetti sauce with gb, maybe.
Cheryl

Starting weight--200 (gah!)
Currently--185
Goal weight--135, or wherever I end up

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:19 pm

yeah, my hubby practically hates spagetti since that was what they ate a lot of when he was a kid because it was cheap....but he loves meatloaf! :lol:

glad to be of some help. :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

pangelsue

Ode to meatloaf

Post by pangelsue » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:58 am

You guys are sooo inspiring. I have ground pork, turkey and beef in the freezer currently and now I also have ideas. Thanks. I can freeze it for lunches too which is even better.

Mia21972

Post by Mia21972 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:44 pm

i just made a meatloaf this weekend with A-1 steak sauce, gave it a little kick. Here's a quick tip, and if you have kids, they'll LOVE it! Mix up the meatloaf and press it into a cupcake tin you have sprayed with PAM or something similar. It will cook in about 10-15 minutes and the little pre-portioned meatloafs are fun. It's also an easy way to control how much you eat. The only drawback is that there is no loaf to slice for cold sandwiches later. But, it's a fun and interesting twist on on old favorite. ~Mia
My avatar is my inspiration~ I want to be able to play with my niece without my belly getting in the way!

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:55 am

Muffin tins! That is a great idea. I have cooked it in a bundt pan before. I put mashed potatoes in the middle and it looked pretty.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:07 am

I like the muffin pan thing. My favorite part of any meatloaf is the outside edge and this way I 'd get all outside edges. Yum. Thanks for the tip.

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:36 pm

sooo, meatloaf... sounds good, but how does one go about making it? :oops:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:54 pm

Hi Pete :)

Usually, meatloaf involves a few main ingredients which hold it together, and spices or sauces you like..

I would try taking ground meat, and mixing breadcrumbs, eggs, and some tomato sauce, or if you want it a little spicy, maybe salsa, and then you just mix it up and bake it in a "Loaf" pan... you know..
And then you bake it in the oven till it's cooked through...

Then slice and eat, with gravy is good, but plain is good too, because you bake all the ingredients in with the meat..

Sorry I don't have exact cooking times or amounts of ingredients, but I'm sure you can google up some good recipes for meatloaf :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Mia21972

Post by Mia21972 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:45 am

just wondering if you made a meatloaf, Pete, and how it turned out? :-)
My avatar is my inspiration~ I want to be able to play with my niece without my belly getting in the way!

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:58 pm

I just saw this thread, and I thought it was gonna be about a different kind of meat loaf. 8)

In the meantime, I'll just be praying for the end of time.... :twisted:
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net