New book from Brian Wansink

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

New book from Brian Wansink

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Brian Wansink has a new book: Slim by Design.

A few of the tricks and behaviors were on the Today Show.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:48 pm

Wow, the publication date was Sept. 23, and there are already 6 customer reviews. It gets me how much people base their opinions on how excited they are about how they think something will work.

However, I love this guy's stuff. I think one of the problems with it is that for many people, it would take almost as much support /cheering on to get them to actually implement and stick to the habits suggested before they would start to experience the weight loss result they are so intent on. I've known for years that I shouldn't eat out of any package, but that was meaningless to me in the face of what I felt was the pleasure I would give up by not getting to do that until I got really afraid, AND started experiencing the pleasure of moderate meals . I also wonder if the effects are as profound if the person does them consciously. If a person chooses a well-lit table because it's been shown to lead to unconscious choices to eat a salad and not order dessert, couldn't it lead her to rebel and say, "Oh, yeah? The hell with your lighting. I'm getting the burger and fries!"

That being said, this kind of information is much in keeping with No S. The information about keeping certain foods put away, among other tidbits, certainly helps support sticking to one-plate meals for me. I can't remember if the No S book mentioned that, but I know there was something about having a fruit shrine, (the kind of metaphor I so love from this pithy program) now reinforced in Wansink's book.

BTW, is it my imagination that Brian looks even slimmer than he did in interviews when Mindless Eating came out?

Thanks for posting.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)