Has anyone had a slow start?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

freegirl

Has anyone had a slow start?

Post by freegirl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:15 am

Question for successful No S-ers: Has anyone had a slow start? For example, less than 50% success rate the first month, then it increased gradually month over month.

I am struggling. No S makes sense to me, but for me it is difficult to execute perfectly. For example, I am sometimes successful with no sweets and no seconds, even no snacks until afternoon, and then I snack before dinner and after dinner. But, even though I officially 'failed', I managed not to eat sweets and not to graze the whole day.

I guess my question is: How to feel that you are improving and stay motivated even though you are 'failing'?

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:10 am

Most of us have struggled with full compliance at some time or another. I started off very well at first but as time went on I had my ups and downs. I still have times (after almost 4 years) when I struggle with compliance.

If you can look at your daily habits and see some sort of improvement, then you are making progress. It sounds like you have made some changes and still have the desire to continue so do what you can do and just strive for a a little improvement at a time.

When I have several reds in a row now, they are vastly different than my eating habits when I started. My biggest blow out days now are nothing in comparison to the way I ate when I started.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:34 am

Oh yes... :D
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:59 pm

I fail constantly, but over time certain habits have completely changed. For example, the one plate rule. I loved seconds and the idea of more food. It has been years since I had seconds thanks to NoS. I seldom eat sugary foods any more--even though I sometimes have stevia sweetened foods, so that habit has stuck. Even on my S days, I seldom have sugar--my body just doesn't tolerate a bunch of carbs very well. No snacks is harder for me, but I keep chipping away at it.

Happy Daze

Post by Happy Daze » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:37 pm

I've just begun, and I began with the understanding I would probably be a slow starter. I'd rather be a tortoise than a hare with this, anyway. I beat myself up for not being perfect the last time, and it took me months to return.

Right now, my primary commitment is just to continue checking in, mistakes & all. For my first week, I made lots of mistakes but I had a lot of successes, too. That's good enough for now. My hope is that my motivation will increase as my successes increase.

april1127

Post by april1127 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:56 pm

I have had a lot of false starts but I am getting to the point now that I am tired of having to try over and over. I just really want to get the program and do it for the rest of my life. :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:34 pm

I had a really good start, but fell off the wagon for more than 3 months about 18 months in. Back to it now. I intend to follow essentially No S principles for the rest of my life (although I've adjusted them at the moment to account for morning sickness). My biggest motivator is that there is no other plan that I think is flexible and humane enough for me to stick with for life.

The main thing I learnt from my extended red months, was that we live in a food culture that constantly reinforces snacking and overeating. Although it may be a nice idea that one day No S will be completely effortless (and it has gotten much easier over time), the fact that I don't live in a traditional culture that supports meal-based eating means that there will always be some red days. That's ok.

vmsurbat recently posted her 6th successful year of maintaining a significant weight loss on the Testimonials page, including the fact that she has never (in 6 years) gone 21 days without a red day. You don't have to be perfect to get results.

Dale

Post by Dale » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:40 pm

I started off using the Habitcal to track, and although I think it probably works well for others, for me, it felt demoralising. I just needed to have one bite of the wrong thing, or at the wrong time, and the whole day was red. I've found it works better for me to be more lenient on myself. As long as you're losing weight (or maintaining, if that's your goal) then it's working. And work out what your weak points are. Like you, I'm fine during the day but would have a tendency to snack in the evening. I try to avoid that by starting cooking the evening meal as soon as I get in from work (I'm hungry then, and don't want to be tempted to snack), and then have a hot drink later in the evening if I feel like eating.

catservant

Post by catservant » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:21 am

I love this thread! I identify with everything said...I am the QUEEN of slow starts, and "blow it" almost daily by snacking starting at about 3:00 pm and again in the evening. I agree, though, that this IS the only sensible way to go about establishing a realistic way of eating that I can live with. I will keep plugging along in the hopes that I will eventually be consistently compliant. I am sorry that others are struggling in the same way that I am, but grateful not to feel alone on this journey. Thanks to all for sharing.

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Thank you, everyone! I feel less alone now.

I'll start on Oct 20 with four meals: breakfast, lunch, tea time, and dinner.

I need some food in the afternoon. I think it's more emotional need than physiological need. But if I follow all the other rules, I'll be making a lot of changes to my eating habits. Maybe I'll need this crutch just for a while, let's see.

If I eat something in the afternoon, and it's allowed, it's less likely that I'll eat again after dinner. The other reason I'll try this is because I want my dinners to be light, so I can increase my chances of exercising in the evening.

catservant

Post by catservant » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:29 am

How did your day go? Today was also a re-start for me (and there have been MANY!) and I had a successful first day! Hope you did too! :D

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Yes, these past two days were succesful with my tea time meal added. And today I only ate 20 almonds for my tea time meal :)

It feels soooooo good to have a meal after being genuinely hungry for some time. Not only food tastes better, but I actually feel satisfied after eating!

catservant

Post by catservant » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:28 am

Wonderful! Good for you...keep up the good work! :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:02 am

That's the magic.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:56 pm

I agree oolala, that's the magic! You tested it over the years. I feel soooo good, and only after three days! :D I feel like shouting from the rooftops!

I know it's only the beginning, and I'll face many challenges ahead. Sweets are challenging for me. I cannot stop eating them after I start, and don't feel good afterwards - physically and emotionally. So I wonder how to approach them on S days. I don't want to exclude them completely and create deprivation mentality, but I don't want to overdo them either.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:57 pm

yes, definitely it's not always easy to get 100% right away... i'm usually somewhere in between a 70 and 80 percent good day...
expect a few "false starts" but don't let it deter you from trying again (and again and again) if necessary, and don't psych yourself out :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:24 pm

Oh yes!!

I have had more re-starts than I can count. But the thing that keeps me coming back is that this works and the habits stick and make a difference.

Even when I slide the no seconds is well entrenched and the no sweets during the week is steadily improving. I do battle with the snacks but generally after a couple of days of snacking I feel lousey and slide back towards compliance!

I can honestly say that there are now days where I don't even think about what I am doing - normal is just 3 meals a day!

Some days will always be easier than others and that makes the tough days that I push through on worth every minute.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)