A new outlook

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Goodcooker

A new outlook

Post by Goodcooker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:01 pm

I have been aware of the NO S Diet for a couple of years now. I bought the book. It does make sense, no doubt about it. I even gave it a try. In a three week period I gained a good 5 pounds and ran like the dickens from this "crazy" way of eating. :? I had 30 ponds to lose. Guess what? I STILL have the same 30 pounds to lose. This is after two years of trying the following diets--I have done WeightWatchers--Southbeach--Atkins--Paleo--Lowcal--Fasting. I am mentally exhausted. However...during these past couple of years I kept checking in here on this site. I kept going back to the book and reading it. I would think back to when I was thinner and would remember how I just didn't snack. If I missed a meal it wasn't the end of the world. A tummy growling was "normal" it didn't mean you were going into "starvation Mode". Where did that saying originate from anyway? I want to eat this way. This makes complete sense to me. I am going to blame my 5 pound gain last time I tried this WOE on the fact that I was coming off a serious low carb life style. I know I have to be careful of too much wheat and that's fine I will deal with it. I am not some special case. I am so tired of thinking about points--carbs--cals--. Madness. I think this is what they call diet head? Please bear with me. I will be asking alot of questions. From what I have seen here on the forums you are all so helpful. I am going to use the habitcal. My excercise will be walking a few times a week. My job requires me to stand 8 hours a day. Gone are the days that a Bank Teller can sit! :wink: I am excited to be part of the No S family! My husband and 12 year old daughter is doing this with me so it will be nice to have the support at home as well! :D
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:15 am

Welcome Goodcooker! I think it's not uncommon to gain weight initially and then loose it. It's amazing that your family is doing this with you!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:33 am

Welcome!

Yip, you're suffering from Diet Head like most of us when we discovered No S.

It is simple but not easy but whne you stick with it, it REALLY works. And the best bit is you stop obsessing over food all day every day!!
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

mitchelll

Post by mitchelll » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:12 pm

welcome, and good luck. I also agree with you that when I was much thinner, I also ate very like NoS---regular meals, few sweets, and almost no snacking. Since your family is on board, the one thing that has saved me from snacking more than once is not having any of my favorite snack food on hand. NOw, to avoid diet head, I do tell myself that if I really want it, I can get up, get dressed, and walk to the store and get it. That almost never happens, and the urge passes. but I can tell you, if the chips had been in the house, even if hidden in a back cupboard, I would have fallen on them like a rabid dog.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Welcome home. Your exasperation with your other efforts will likely stand you in good stead. Try to let go of the idea that you are supposed to lose 30 lbs. Believe you are supposed to learn how to live with food. There is no point to wanting to weigh a certain amount if that weight demands that you live a way you can't, at least not now. No matter what, you can learn to eat reasonably and fill up on life.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)