New and excited!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

feedthehunger

New and excited!

Post by feedthehunger » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi all,

I had read about the "No S" plan 10 years ago and filed it away as an interesting idea but one that could never work for me because I needed to be on a "real diet."

Here I am 10 years later, 50 pounds heavier and finally realizing that the attempts to do Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, Paleo, etc. all have the problems nicely described by the No S website, and even better described by the book -- forbidden foods and/or counting. I longed for a way of eating that was natural and kept hearing that I could never hope for that. I tried to do it the other way and kept rebound bingeing. How crazy is it to be on a diet for 10 years and gain 50 pounds? Miserable, too.

Well, in looking through my bookmarks last week, I stumbled on No S again and this time I was more receptive, if not downright exhilarated, by the idea that I could normalize my eating through these simple rules. I began the plan right away.

What I have found so far --

It has been scary to become untethered from constant snacking -- perhaps more of a companion to me throughout the day than I realized. But, it's happening, and more than that, I'm excited to be doing it because I believe that continuing to eat the No S way will retrain my brain to be normal in regard to food. It's already happening.

The weekend felt really great because I was "free," but I felt LESS like eating than on weekends when I was restricted by diets and counting points. I did have a couple of treats and a snack over the Sat-Sun, but I did not gorge nor did I want to.

I was eager to start my first full week of N days today and, so far, I could not be happier about establishing a way of eating that I can see myself doing for the rest of my life.

I've enjoyed reading around the forum too -- lots of great ideas!

Early days yet, but I am committed to doing this simple plan.

Cheers,
Debra
:D
Started my No S Lifestyle November 7, 2014

debbieljones

Post by debbieljones » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:00 pm

Hi Debra, Debora Here lol.

I am like you in many ways. I am starting day 1 today. I have been on all the diets you have and of course lost weight. Sadly I gained it all back.

I love the simple way this diet does take away the stress. I wish you a super succesful day.

Cheers
Food is not the enemy

feedthehunger

Post by feedthehunger » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:19 pm

Good luck Debora -- while it seems weird now, by next week it will seem more normal -- I really am looking for normal!

debbieljones

Post by debbieljones » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:48 pm

Thank you.

So fare its a great day!
Food is not the enemy

Swarah

Post by Swarah » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:42 pm

Hello, your dog is SO cute!
47 years old
5'9"

feedthehunger

Post by feedthehunger » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:45 pm

Thanks, Swarah! His name is Edison -- he's a Shih-Tzu/Pomeranian mix we got from a shelter a couple of years ago. Just the sweetest, friendliest, happiest dog I've ever known. Loves everyone and everything. The love is returned from all who meet him too! :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:15 pm

Welcome! And kudos for the commitment. It may not always be as easy, but it is doable, and as you've seen, the likelihood of anything else being better for the long run, without other mitigating circumstances, isn't very good.

It took me several years to take off 40 lbs., but I had so many enjoyable days on the way!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

feedthehunger

Post by feedthehunger » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks oolala. I've really enjoyed reading your posts and admire your commitment not just to your plan but to the people who come here with questions.

What I like most about the No S plan is the idea of returning to a natural weight naturally. It did not jump on me in 12 weeks (more like 12 years), and I don't expect it to leave quickly. That doesn't mean I don't expect it to leave and will do everything I can to usher it out the door sanely!

Ssusan

Post by Ssusan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:23 am

I started the SS Plan on 9-29-14 (I refer to it as the SS Plan, since those are my initials). The first few days, I felt the same as you're describing. It all seemed so natural and sustainable, but I was nervous about those feelings and motivation lasting. I'm happy to say that now several weeks later, I feel even more comfortable with this approach to eating, and really no longer even think about eating between meals. I enjoy special treats on weekends, without feeling out of control. Now the real question for me is will this way of eating allow me to continue to lose weight and come close to a healthy BMI. Only time will tell. Regardless, I'm happy with the 10 pounds I've lost thus far (40 more to go) and feel good eating in this fashion. Best wishes to you all.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:34 pm

I let my weight creep up to 70 lbs overweight by the time I reached my 50's and I realized how much more the extra weight is an issue as you get older. Almost 4 years later I am getting close to an average BMI. Eight pounds to go.

My advice is to never quit and restart. Just stay with it through all the red days and red weeks. You may have relapses and long periods of not so stellar compliance. This is not a diet you can start and restart, it is a lifestyle.

My main problem was laziness and a lack of strictness with the rules. I spent year one losing 45 lbs and then years 2 and 3 just maintaining. Year 4 started out with my first gains, but I got it back together, got strict with the rules and have lost 16.4 lbs so far this year.

I have a lot of faith in Vanilla No S, but I had to realize it is not a pass to eat junky food at every meal or to go hog wild every weekend!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Amy C.

Post by Amy C. » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:48 pm

r.jean wrote: I have a lot of faith in Vanilla No S, but I had to realize it is not a pass to eat junky food at every meal or to go hog wild every weekend!
I am still trying to keep from going hog wild on the weekends. I so love to eat!

I am trying to focus on doing other things, rather than eat.

feedthehunger

Post by feedthehunger » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:48 pm

I cannot believe how easy it is for me to relax "a little" on the weekends. I would have thought I would go crazy but again I find that being able to eat anytime and anything doesn't have the same appeal for me it had when I was "dieting." I guess the best way to describe it (besides sheer happiness) is that by loosening the grip I tried to have over myself without losing the plot entirely (i.e., the goal is to lose weight), I have achieved a balance I never dreamed possible. By Friday of this week, I was feeling wobbly about the restrictions, but reminding myself I could eat something I was craving on Saturday got me through. When Saturday came, the craving was gone which shows me how ephemeral they all are anyway.

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi Debra,

Sounds like we have similar stories re other diets and actually putting weight on over the last ten years. I hope you find your groove with No S and that you see a consistent weight loss together with gaining sanity around food and have found a way that you can sustain in the long term. Good luck and I look forward to following your progress updates with interest.

Anne
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones