Ready to go

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

OneLife

Ready to go

Post by OneLife » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi everyone. I have been looking around this board off and on for a few years. A couple days ago I promised myself I would make a change after Thanksgiving. Today, I am going to put a plan on paper and tomorrow I will begin. I only have one life and I have made many mistakes in it. One problem area being my weight and eating habits. I have made too many excuses. I really can't blame anyone but myself. But...today is new. I will be honest and say that I need some cheerleaders. I need the support. I hope that by joining this board I will find that support. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by OneLife on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dee

My starting weight allows me to wear a size 12
I would like to wear a size 8

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:33 pm

Welcome, OneLife!
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:50 pm

Welcome!
You're gonna like it here :) :)
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

feedthehunger

Post by feedthehunger » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Welcome, Dee! I think a lot of people reading your post (including me) will be able to identify with what you wrote. At another website I posted this:
Weight Loss Tip: Learn to Draw a Double Line

In my weight loss journey, there are lots of places my head can be. It might be buried in the sand because I don’t want to know what I know. It might be up some other part of my anatomy because I want to do self destructive things to soothe myself or to lose weight. But the most dangerous place my head can be is buried is in the past thinking about the things I should have eaten, not eaten, done, not done, the missed opportunities, the wasted effort, the lost years, etc. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

In accounting, when there are no other entries that will be made to an amount, a double line is drawn to show that the tally is final. The past is like that. No amount of anguish, hand-wringing, fat-shaming screeds or other maneuvers can change what happened then. No anger, resentment or instant replaying can change it. No obsession about it, devotion to it or anxious preservation of it can change it. It’s done.

Not that the past is no good. To the contrary, it can be a goldmine of information, just like that final journal entry. You can’t add to it, subtract from it or change it, but you can profit from understanding what the number means. The past is like that: you can learn from it even though you can’t change it. That’s why the 12-Step groups quote Benjamin Dover: It's okay to look at the past, just don't stare.

A necessary element of the weight loss journey for me is to fully realize the past and let it be. I don’t have to let it go, I just have to let it be what it was. The capacity to “let be†is an important part of my weight loss plan. Without it, I am chained in a way that prevents me from moving forward. I’m drawing the double line.
And so I was able to move to the No S lifestyle even though my past dieting history would predict abject failure.

I hope you can too!

Regards, Debra
Started my No S Lifestyle November 7, 2014

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:20 am

Welcome to the boards. so glad you decided to take your journey to better health along with all of us :wink:
Berry

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:21 am

feedthehunger wrote:Welcome, Dee! I think a lot of people reading your post (including me) will be able to identify with what you wrote. At another website I posted this:
Weight Loss Tip: Learn to Draw a Double Line

In my weight loss journey, there are lots of places my head can be. It might be buried in the sand because I don’t want to know what I know. It might be up some other part of my anatomy because I want to do self destructive things to soothe myself or to lose weight. But the most dangerous place my head can be is buried is in the past thinking about the things I should have eaten, not eaten, done, not done, the missed opportunities, the wasted effort, the lost years, etc. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

In accounting, when there are no other entries that will be made to an amount, a double line is drawn to show that the tally is final. The past is like that. No amount of anguish, hand-wringing, fat-shaming screeds or other maneuvers can change what happened then. No anger, resentment or instant replaying can change it. No obsession about it, devotion to it or anxious preservation of it can change it. It’s done.

Not that the past is no good. To the contrary, it can be a goldmine of information, just like that final journal entry. You can’t add to it, subtract from it or change it, but you can profit from understanding what the number means. The past is like that: you can learn from it even though you can’t change it. That’s why the 12-Step groups quote Benjamin Dover: It's okay to look at the past, just don't stare.

A necessary element of the weight loss journey for me is to fully realize the past and let it be. I don’t have to let it go, I just have to let it be what it was. The capacity to “let be†is an important part of my weight loss plan. Without it, I am chained in a way that prevents me from moving forward. I’m drawing the double line.
And so I was able to move to the No S lifestyle even though my past dieting history would predict abject failure.

I hope you can too!

Regards, Debra

Pretty powerful stuff, welcome to you as well.
Berry

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Welcome to reason.

I gently caution you not to try to attack all your transgressions at once. I say that because you said you were going to put a plan on paper. I hope it's pretty much close to "Put non-sweets on a plate three times a day and eat them." To start, that's all you need. You can still eat out, eat junk food, eat fried food, whatever, if you already do and enjoy them. You don't HAVE to, but just don't let planning perfect meals get in the way. I ate pizza and salad, or the like, for many, many dinners my first year. Fast Mexican was and still is on the menu. And since. The slices have gotten smaller, though, and a burrito lasts three or sometimes even four meals. :)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

OneLife

Post by OneLife » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks for welcoming me. I definitely had fun these last two days. I was beginning to over think this at one point though. I had to stop myself. Keeping things simple has always been an issue for me. Tomorrow I will have to keep reminding myself that all I have to do is eat. Don't count, track, worry, etc. Going to be harder than it sounds. Thanks for that advice oolala.
Dee

My starting weight allows me to wear a size 12
I would like to wear a size 8